5 Reasons Why Colombia Should Be Your Next Holiday Destination

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MDC chapter.

5 reasons why Colombia should be your next holiday destination.

1. Cartagena.

Cartagena is one of the most exquisite colonial cities in Latin America. Though it was built on gold and slavery, it remains an exceptional destination; Cartagena is a place where flowers spill from ornate balconies and lovers watch sunsets from the city walls. Come watch the horses and carts clatter through the streets and the flash mobs dance at night.

2. One of the world’s biggest carnivals.

Barranquilla Carnival is one of the biggest of its kind. Taking place 40 days before Holy Week, the jamboree sashays on for four intensely hedonistic days, when the streets are filled with parades and parties. The sultry carnival is a big draw for tourists, who are warmly received by locals . Carnival is a time of celebration going back to Portugal and Spain before the Catholic practice of Lent.

3. South America’s prettiest national parks.

A protected area in Colombia’s northern wilderness, Tayrona National Park has all the attributes you want from the Caribbean. A picture speaks a thousand words as they say, so I will let this be a true depiction of such a wonder.

4. Guatape.

Guatape Lake is actually the result of a controversial dam , Ethics aside the result is rather beautiful and best observed from the top of La Piedra. After all of that hiking, there’s a bar at the summit where you can reward your labors with a Colombian-style michelada (a cold beer, lime, and salt).

5. Mompox.

Mompox has largely been bypassed by tourists, but it’s well worth making the effort to visit. Not only is this sleepy city a place of beauty, with its well-preserved architecture and riverside location, but it was also the inspiration behind Gabriel Garcia Márque z’s magical realism novel, One Hundred Years of Solitude”.

A trip to Colombia is an unforgettable one. With all of its rich history, stunning architecture, delicious meals, and other wonderful aspects like the culture itself and street festivities, you will never want to depart from such a country. Next time you get stuck on where to go next on your vacation, make sure to remember this one as an option because it will not disappoint.

A free spirit who was born and raised in sunny Miami, Fl, Valerie currently studies at Miami-Dade College and is working toward a degree in journalism in hopes of making a difference in the world by unraveling her inner activist through her writing and actions. Everyday making progress little by little.