Republic Records

Why Celebrities Should Get Political in 2020

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McMaster chapter.

There are multiple schools of thought regarding “celebrity politics” or “political star power,” and most of them are located in the depths of Twitter. The 2020 United States presidential election is arguably the most critical election to date. Based on the unexpected results of the 2016 election, when approximately 43% of voters didn’t even fill out a ballot, voting this time around is essential in ensuring the future of democracy in the US. Many turn away from politics because the political sphere can be confusing or overwhelming, or some disregard it altogether because it does not affect their race or tax bracket. Many Americans could be making a difference but need that extra push. Sometimes that push comes can come from celebrities.

It is a common argument that celebrities should stay out of politics, perhaps due to their substantial income, the celebrity bubble they reside within, or because their public opinions can be perceived as misleadingly persuasive. Believe it or not, celebrities are people too. They have opinions, they work real jobs, and they have the right to vote.

The most common argument on Twitter is that celebrities do not know anything about politics. To that, it is safe to ask, what does a teacher know about politics? Or a mechanic? Or an air traffic controller? These are all just jobs. Acting, singing, or dancing for money is a job. So really, what is the difference? The difference is that celebrities have a higher income and a large following, but quite often, baby boomers do not see them as having a real job. However, a political opinion is still an opinion, and everyone is entitled to one. 

In 2018, Taylor Swift broke her 10-year-long political silence in a lengthy post endorsing Tennessee Democrats Phil Bredesen and Jim Cooper on the basis of LGBTQ+ rights and combatting systemic racism. After encouraging her 112-million Instagram followers to vote, the number of new voters in Tennessee spiked with 65,000 registrations in a single 24-hour period. 

Swift’s 2020 Netflix documentary, Miss Americana, follows her ingress into politics. The documentary is named after her song, Miss Americana and the Heartbreak Prince, which outlines her sentiments regarding the 2016 election. The song uses the imagery of a high school to represent the world, in which “American glory” fades and the “scoreboard” terrifies her, referring to the election results leading to the “death of democracy”. Lyrics like “boys will be boys” and “I see the high fives between the bad guys” shed light on President Trump’s reputation, along with the notorious Boys’ Club in the political arena. Through her music and her words, Swift expresses her own political views, and in turn, gets young people to the polls.

Swift’s Tweet on May 29th, 2020 brought attention to Trump “stoking the fires of white supremacy and racism.” Swift called out his outlandish justification for violently policing Black Lives Matter protests, in which he stated, “when the looting starts the shooting starts.” In response the singer, Kid Rock made a sexist comment on Twitter stating that Swift is a Democrat because she “wants to be in movies” and that “she will suck the doorknob off Hollyweird to get there.” Thankfully, Twitter users were quick to point out that Kid Rock grew up on a six-acre estate, is anti-abortion, owns machine guns, describes himself as not wealthy, but “loaded,” and is in no position to scrutinize Swift’s political commentary.

Rather than endorsing Democratic candidates, other celebrities are trying to shed light on what both parties have to say. Chris Evans’ recently launched website, A Starting Point, showcases informational videos from over 150 elected officials. The platform urges Americans to stay informed and participate in politics by providing content from Democrats and Republicans on broad topics, such as economics, education, and immigration. This is similar to The Shawn Mendes Foundation, which aims to empower today’s youth to help them in discovering what they are passionate about, all while promoting change through taking action.

In short, celebrities are not politicians. However, neither are the majority of American voters. Many believe that it is dangerous to have so much political pull, and others argue that it is unethical for those in the public eye to possess such a powerful platform and refrain from encouraging their followers to get educated. Everyone is entitled to their own political opinion; however, it is crucial to be informed. So, to those living in the US, get out and vote on November 3rd.

Register to vote: https://www.usa.gov/register-to-vote

Sarah Slasor is in her fourth year of Honours History with an Economics minor at McMaster University. In the Fall, she will begin graduate studies in women's and U.S. history.