Wellness > Sex + Relationships

The Best Movies & TV Shows To Watch This Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McMaster chapter.

Valentine’s Day is often associated with roses, oversized teddy bears and high expectations. From romantic dates at high-end restaurants to flowers and boxes of chocolates, there’s a lot of pressure to be in a relationship. Because of this, Valentine’s Day has become a holiday that people tend to both love and hate. With this in mind, I’ve made a list of my favourite movies and TV shows that’ll help you get through another February 14th. (Note: movies and shows are not listed in any particular order)

He’s Just Not That Into You

This movie follows a group of people in their 20s and 30s as they navigate dating, relationships and friendships. With actors like Jennifer Aniston, Bradley Cooper, Drew Barrymore, and more, this is a movie that’ll make you laugh at every turn. 

Love, Rosie

If you’re looking for a movie that’ll tear at your heartstrings, Love, Rosie is perfect for you. The movie follows best friends Rosie and Alex, portrayed by Lily Collins and Sam Claflin, as they grow up and experience the highs and lows of falling in love. Their friendship is full of missed chances and what-ifs, something that many of us can relate to. 

New Girl

This wildly popular TV show starring Zooey Deschanel is the perfect feel-good show for you to binge (especially if you’re going through a breakup!). You’ll find that all of the characters have a well-written backstory that’s realistic and relatable. New Girl showcases the dynamics of male and female friendships and the complex realities of adulthood.

Everything Everywhere All at Once

This probably isn’t a movie you’d think to watch on Valentine’s Day, but I promise that this absurdist drama-comedy will leave you thinking about the meaning of life and love more than any other movie on this list. With themes of individuality, parenthood and generational divides, Everything Everywhere All at Once will remind you that love truly is everywhere. Following Evelyn Wang, a Chinese-American immigrant played by Michelle Yeoh, and her daughter Joy Wang, played by Stephanie Ann Hsu, this movie will leave your heart full and will make you want to tell everyone in your life (including yourself) that you love them. 

To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before

Some people hate this movie and some people love it; regardless of what side of the fence you’re on, if you’re looking for a light-hearted movie that touches on high school and teenage love, this is the one for you. It’ll act as a form of escapism and will make you thankful (or regretful) that you didn’t write love letters to all your childhood crushes. 

How I Met Your Mother

How I Met Your Mother begins with Ted Mosby, played by Josh Radnor, telling his kids the story of how he met their mother. Told through a series of flashbacks, this show is full of one-line catchphrases and life lessons that every 20-something should know. This story of love and friendship will resonate with any viewer, and it contains enough humour to make even the worst heartbreak hurt a little less.

The Proposal

This romcom follows the fake marriage between book editor Margaret Tate, played by Sandra Bullock, and her assistant Andrew Paxton, played by Ryan Reynolds. A classic enemies-friends-lovers trope, this movie will have you laughing the entire time. 

Bridesmaids

Bridesmaids focuses on the adventures of a group of bridesmaids leading up to their friend’s wedding. With themes of friendship, self-love and self-acceptance, this is a movie that’s perfect to watch alone or with your best friends.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Before watching this movie, make sure you have a box of tissues and a bag of popcorn by your side. The movie centers on three best friends, played by Logan Lerman, Emma Watson and Ezra Miller, and has themes of friendship, trauma and healing. Most importantly, this movie will remind you that being a wallflower isn’t something to be ashamed of. 

Brooklyn Nine-Nine

This show follows the adventures of Detective Jake Peralta, played by Andy Samberg, and the rest of his team as they police the NYPD’s 99th precinct. All of these characters have unique personalities and – fun fact – most of the show is improvised. Get ready for a funny, light-hearted comedy with a touch of romance.

Never Have I Ever

This Netflix Original follows the life of Devi Vishwakumar, an Indian-American Tamil girl living in Los Angeles played by Maitreyi Ramakrishnan. Created by Mindy Kaling, this series captures what it’s like to deal with grief at a young age while also trying to find your path. Never Have I Ever is endearing, charming and a little bit cheesy, but it’ll be sure to leave you with a smile on your face.

While I made this list based on my personal preferences, I have no doubt that you’ll find at least one worth watching. Regardless of the movie or show you choose, I promise that it’ll leave you thinking just a little bit more about what love means to you.

Shayla Bird

McMaster '24

Shayla Bird is a fourth-year Integrated Business and Humanities student at McMaster University. She enjoys playing the violin, trying out new cafés, and reading The New Yorker and The Economist.