This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McMaster chapter.

Have you ever wondered why you laugh when you do? Or why some things are so funny, while others are not? These questions have plagued my mind for some time now – beginning when I was introduced to ‘awkward/cringe’ humor. As an avid watcher of all things sitcom, I can confidently say that I’ve watched most, if not all, comedy shows on Netflix. I considered light-hearted, Brooklyn 99-styled humor to be an elite form of entertainment. But I was completely mind-blown when I started watching The Office. This show defied all of my previous expectations of basic humor and what I was supposed to laugh at. I found myself laughing at the characters’ embarrassing actions, awkward and uncomfortable anecdotes, and clearly biased opinions. I didn’t understand what it was about this show that made me laugh. Did the producers present a meticulously crafted dynamic of enticing characters? Or was I reacting in accordance to some innate evolutionary mechanism that enjoyed external struggle or misery? 

As I re-watched the show and started comparing it to things I learned in psychology and anthropology, I started forming some of my own theories. After a whole lot of geeking out and some external research, I have formulated a 2-part answer to my questions:

Awkward or cringey humor, in essence, revolves around uncomfortable situations and the derivation of comedy against an ironically serious background. As written by Jason Zinoman, this unlikely form of humor capitalizes on ‘social transgressions and personal embarrassments’. To properly break this subgenre down into its core components, I believe that we need to adopt a perspective rooted in psychology and evolutionary history.

The easiest and perhaps most logical explanation for our love of The Office comes from the character dynamic. The show consists of a wide range of characters that complement each other in a way that seems to personify the human experience. For example, Jim’s calm and playful nature perfectly balances Dwight and Michael’s impulsiveness and exaggerated behaviour. Pam’s accommodating personality acts as the yin to Angela’s judgmental yang. Together, all of these characters hit a different aspect of human nature, pulling and twisting at our inner workings as human beings. By showing these raw, unfiltered parts of the human psyche, the show is able to appeal to the general demographic. Like most forms of entertainment, it acts as an alternative to one’s own life. 

As I dug deeper into the formatting of the show, one thing became apparent: The Office, like many shows of its genre, starts with a brutal force of uncomfortable situations. The characters are initially unlikable as their worst flaws are depicted. However, almost immediately after the show built a rapport with its audience and I became comfortable with the characters, I started to see the nuances of their humanity. Dwight’s constant desire for approval and unsolicited power is warmed by his protectiveness over Pam. From taking care of her daughter to acting as a quiet, unquestioning shoulder to cry on, Dwight proves his worth in more than one way. As the audience, we learn to love his flaws along with his hidden yet admirable strengths. This balance of character traits somehow eases us into awkward humor. I find myself laughing along Dwight’s barbaric tendencies because I know that deep down, he’s a good person – his actions are not a full reflection of his character. 

This careful unraveling of characters – such that we are exposed to their worst, before learning about their best – plays on an interesting concept I learned in psychology: human beings tend to like those they initially disliked, more so than individuals they’ve liked consistently. So, by creating a perception initially skewed toward negative traits, the show was able to captivate the audience in both an unexpected and perhaps unintentional way. Whatever the case, the strong character depiction seems to be at the core of awkward humor.

The show seems to pull on emotions hidden deep within our subconscious to evoke humor filled experiences. For example, Michael’s childish tantrums and overly-optimistic view of the world captivate the child within all of us. His numerous attempts at pleasing the entire office coupled with his obvious lack of execution creates incredibly embarrassing situations that draw us like moths to a flame. Almost as if it is a defense mechanism, the audience laughs at the discomfort that follows their chaos-induced state of captivation.

Part of an initial wave of awkward humor, this show has revolutionized 21st century comedy. While The Office may seem a little offbeat and unconventional, it has made its way into the hearts of viewers across the world.

Tehrim Younas

McMaster '23

Second year BHSc student at McMaster