This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McMaster chapter.

Television is a comfort that most people use to escape the stress of their own life. It’s fun to watch a series and fall in love with the characters and their lives. Sitcoms are particularly a special comfort of mine and are the perfect escape from the real world. 

While The Office and Friends are fantastic shows, everyone has seen at least one episode of each. Here are my 5 favorite sitcoms that you may not have already seen, in a countdown to my all-time favorite.

5. Superstore

This one is fairly new, revolving around the lives of employees at a small-town superstore in the middle of suburbia. Superstore focuses on the personalities of its characters as they get into hilarious situations whether it be a ridiculous rule from corporate or a weird customer. The show can be especially relatable if you are a former retail employee, and you’ll start to roll your eyes right along with the characters. Unlike many sitcoms, Superstore also focuses on real relationships issues like being an immigrant and the danger of ICE in the United States. Starring America Ferreira and featuring an incredibly diverse cast, the 6th and final season of Superstore is currently being filmed, so get started! It’s worth it, I promise.

Rewatchability: 7/10 

4. Arrested Development

Arrested Development gave stars like Jason Bateman and Michael Cera their biggest and most popular roles. Getting cancelled in its third season in 2006, the show was picked up again by Netflix for 2 additional seasons in 2013. The thing is, these last 2 seasons kind of sucked. So, I’m just going to pretend that they don’t exist. The show follows the Bluth family, who are extremely successful until their father, and the CEO of their company, lands himself in jail. The characters are all so strange, and unlike many sitcoms, they are largely unlikeable, each with a unique set of flaws. The charm of the show comes from the silly situations the characters find themselves in and the show’s knack for call backs and long running gags, like “There’s always money in the banana stand,” “Her?” and “Mr. F” (I promise, just watch it to understand). Despite its rocky comeback, the original 3 seasons are a must watch, being textbook examples of perfectly written, structured, and always funny episodes.

Rewatchability: 9/10 

3. Schitt’s Creek

This show, starring and written by Canadians, has a special place in my heart. Starring the ever-iconic Levy family and Catherine O’Hara, the show follows the Rose family who fall from fame and riches when their financial advisor steals all they have. They are forced to move into a motel in a small town called Schitt’s Creek, where they get to know a group of quirky small town characters and try their hardest to get out. The cast are hilarious and have created a world that is hard to leave – a world where LGBTQ+ characters thrive without that being the only aspect of their personality. Schitt’s Creek will make you laugh and cry, and it is finally getting the recognition it deserves, having won 5 awards at the 2020 Emmy’s. 

Rewatchability: 8/10 

2. New Girl

Zooey Deschanel stars as the quirky and odd, but lovable Jess, who has to find somewhere else to live and has to choose between 3 men from craigslist: Schmidt (the control freak), Nick (the hot mess) and Winston (the weirdo with a big heart). While their dynamic is unconventional at best, the show follows all of them through their mid-20s as they live together and try to become their own people. The love I have for these characters is unmatched and their growth is really incredible to watch unfold. Of any on the list, New Girl is the most fun to watch with friends who will laugh and cry with you when your favorite roommate gets the girl, gets the job, or reaches their full potential. Watch this one and then let me know which of Jess’s boyfriends are your favorite.

Rewatchability: 100/10 (I’ve seen it like 10 times)

1. Parks and Recreation

This show is, in my opinion, the funniest sitcom to air, honestly, ever. On top of the genius of its comedy – which is bound to happen with a star like Amy Poehler – Parks and Rec has heart. Following a mockumentary style, the show stars Leslie Knope, an ambitious parks and recreation department employee who has dreams of making in big in politics, and her colleagues, most of whom are not as excited about local government as she is. You’ve probably guessed by now, but I’m a big fan of character development and relationships in a show that make me invested in what happens to them. Parks and Rec really delivers on that premise, making a show that is not only hilarious, but extremely touching up until its very last moments. Leslie Knope and the parks department keep the laughs coming in their tiny town while they struggle to find what they’re really passionate about. You’ll finish this show with a better appreciation for the little things in life, like good waffles, than ever before.

Rewatchability: 100000/10 

Selena is a second year student at McMaster pursuing a double major in Biology and Psychology, Neuroscience and Behaviour. When she isn't studying you can find her writing short stories, making Spotify playlists or on the hunt for a new coffee shop.