My Thoughts on the ‘Love Is Blind’ Couples of Season 2

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McMaster chapter.

Nearly two years after the original show aired, the long-awaited Love Is Blind is back! While I think we can all agree that there is no couple as iconic as Lauren and Cam, this season was certainly filled with ups, downs, and Shake’s terribly timed jokes. Here are my thoughts on the couples from season 2. Warning: spoilers ahead!

Danielle and Nick

This couple seemed rock solid when they got engaged. Being the first couple to really connect in the pods and seal the deal, I automatically assumed things would be smooth sailing from there. Unfortunately, the show didn’t feature many of their happy moments, aside from the opening episodes. Danielle’s insecurities were a major theme, and I personally would have appreciated seeing more of the ‘good times.’ I feel that the producers were a bit harsh on this couple. In a recent Instagram post, Danielle notes, “How I was represented on TV is not an accurate representation of who I am as a person,” later adding, “I hope that in the future everyone will get to know the real me – as a human being – and not a character on a reality TV show.” I might be the only fan, but I was rooting for Danielle and Nick, and I loved seeing them tie the knot.

Natalie and Shayne 

I flip-flopped about one hundred times when it came to this couple! At the start of the show, I was not a fan of either Natalie nor Shayne. In the pods, Shayne was a mess when it came to balancing his relationships with Shayna (a whole other story) and Natalie. Essentially, I found him to be immature. Once engaged, I found Natalie standoffish and nonresponsive to Shayne’s love languages; she came across as hostile at points in Mexico. All this said – by the second last episode, I was on board! It was clear how big Shayne’s heart was and Natalie became much more receptive to his love languages. Watching the pair grow (not to mention how much I loved their parents) was a highlight! Ultimately, while the couple did not wed, it appeared it was for the best. 

Mal and Sal 

I can’t lie – these two were cute! Mallory had a bright light and vulnerable emotional energy that drew me in. Sal was a complete romantic, with an amazing group of family and friends. What could go wrong? Apparently their relationship! While Mallory insisted she was in love with Sal, I didn’t believe it. It seemed forced and I believe there was an element of her trying to convince herself. Sal, on the other hand, surprised me the most when he turned down Mallory at the altar. I was convinced he would say yes. Once again though, I feel that it was the best choice for them – seeing almost no one show up for Mal on her wedding day was a serious red flag in this relationship!

Shake and Deeps 

Where do I even start with these two?! I’ll be honest, I was shocked from the beginning, when Deeps accepted the proposal. After the festival-shoulder comment by Shake, I don’t see how anyone could accept. Obviously, Shake has several issues that he needs to work through. He was arrogant and insensitive at times, and I hope he uses his experience on Love Is Blind as an opportunity to reflect. On the other hand, I think Deeps was one of the most loved characters in the whole show. Showing women that they can choose themselves in the finale episode was a major power move! 

Shayna and Kyle

I was considering not putting this couple on my list as the show portrayed their entire relationship as a joke. As my sister joked to me, the show should have been called Kyle is Blind, because Shayna appeared to have 0% interest in developing a relationship with him. Not to mention – the entire scene with her family was literally nuts! Did anyone else catch weird vibes from that family? Just me? I respect Shayna’s choice to prioritize her religion, but she definitely led Kyle on. Kyle deserves someone who loves him for who he is, and I hope he is able to find that.

Iyanna and Jarette

I loved this couple (and I don’t think I’m the only one!) While I was initially hesitant (I know Iyanna didn’t want to be anyone’s second choice – and she didn’t deserve to be), I found this couple demonstrated great growth throughout the season. They listened to each other, learned from one another and were able to connect on multiple levels. I also love how close they were with their families – two killer sets of parents! You could tell how loved they both were, and they were able to transfer that love to each other. I wish them all the best, and I hope they are still together! 

Overall, I did enjoy watching the second season of Love Is Blind! It had its fair share of rollercoasters, plot twists and surprises that hooked me in. I’m excited for the reunion airing tomorrow on Netflix… and to see if my opinions change!

Hilary is a fourth year student at McMaster University, majoring in English while pursuing a concurrent Certificate in Leadership & Cross-Cultural Literacy. Outside of school, she loves to sing, cook/bake, and spend time with family and friends. Her happy places include the grocery store & outdoors (most likely hiking)