This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McMaster chapter.

The absolutely dreadful time of year known as “exam season” has unfortunately begun. As most of my fellow university students know, the month of April is riddled with stress, anxiety, fear, 9am exams, and copious amounts of coffee. As much as I love my major, I don’t think anyone truly enjoys sitting down endlessly to study, at least I don’t enjoy it.

But having the right study spot can be a game changer. In the right study spot, I find myself being able to focus and sometimes actually enjoying the work I am doing. In my two years at McMaster, I have managed to find a range of different study spots that each work in different study situations. Lucky for you, I am here to share all the best ones! So, without further ado, here are my favourite study spots on the McMaster campus.

1. The Grind

I stumbled upon this spot nearing the end of my first year. Found in the basement of MUSC, this study spot is cozy and perfect for some light group studying. It also connects to the Arts Quad underground tunnels, which are great for getting around. Plus, the baristas honestly play the best music, and it doesn’t hurt to have coffee readily available two feet from where I’m studying. Do be warned though, it gets pretty loud during peak hours.

2. LRW Basement Study Rooms

These study rooms have honestly been a lifesaver. They’re free to book online up to two weeks in advance. I love to use them for group projects and group study when the content demands more of our concentration. I also use them when I need to use a whiteboard to study terms or make mind maps. The only downside is that you can only book the study rooms for 3 hours at a time during a singular day.

3. Health Sciences Library

Okay hear me out, at first, I wasn’t too sure about the Health Sciences Library since I am not in STEM, but I have come to love this library more than Mills or Thode (oops sorry). I usually study in the area I like to call the ‘Pretty Old Book Room’ (officially named the C. Barber Mueller History of Health and Medicine Room). I love the aesthetic of the room with all the petty bookshelves and even a fireplace. The only downside is that technically there is no food allowed in the room.

4. MUSC 2nd Floor Cubicles

I don’t come to these cubicles often, but when I do I mean business. These are found across from MAPS’ (McMaster Association of Part-time Studies) office. This space is usually pretty low conversation and I find it perfect for grinding out an assignment. Each cubicle gives students plenty of space, two charging outlets and there are vending machines nearby if you need a little study snack.

5. Edwards Hollow

If you’re looking for an outdoor space to study, this is the place to do it. The area doesn’t get too much foot traffic and there are a couple of benches and picnic tables to choose from. Or if need be, turn your study session into a little impromptu picnic on the grass. Plus, there’s a nice view of the woods and of course lots of fresh air. 

That’s all from me but I hope you find these spots to be useful and put them to good use. Good luck on exams and remember to take some time to take care of yourselves <3 

Cynthia Jimenez is a part-time writer at the Her Campus at McMaster chapter. Their articles cover a range of topics including music, literature, campus life and dating. Beyond Her Campus, Cynthia works as a Content Manager for the Navy News, a peripheral team of the McMaster Humanities Society, where she works on a team dedicated to connecting students with the faculty of Humanities. Moreover, she continues to be a social media coordinator for a sustainability oriented club, McMaster's Formula for Our Future. Cynthia has also written pieces for the Unspoken Student Poetry Anthology .They are currently a Third Year student at McMaster University, majoring in Greek and Roman Studies with a minor in Gender Studies. In her free time, Cynthia enjoys crocheting and making her way through her never-ending to-be-read list. They are always willing to buy concert tickets and has recently started collecting CDS.