This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McMaster chapter.

Music is a part of everyone’s life. Whether you play instruments, or simply listen to playlists to romanticize your walks to classes and study sessions, music serves as a universal medium for self-expression and escapism. With a plethora of songs to explore, we can take a further look into the global phenomenon of K-pop. As an average K-pop listener, I’d like to share a few songs that I’ve had on repeat. Hopefully you may find something you like or rediscover something you once enjoyed. 

1. Sugarcoat – Kiss of Life 

K-pop girl groups have been flourishing the past few years, and “Sugarcoat” by Kiss of Life is no exception. This song has that cool 2000s R&B girl group feel that I can’t get enough of. Natty’s meticulous falsetto lines and catchy chorus make the song incredibly addicting, and I’m excited to see what else Kiss of Life has in store. 

2. 10 Minutes – Lee Hyori 

A song that’s actually from the 2000s is Lee Hyori’s solo debut, “10 Minutes”. Although it isn’t new, I’ve had it on repeat since I came across the nostalgic cover performance by Momo, Jihyo, and Nayeon from TWICE. Putting the latent message of the song aside, the playful, it-girl aesthetic is what makes it so timeless. 

3. Standing Next to You – Jung Kook 

I’m sure you’ve heard at least one song from Jung Kook’s recently released album Golden. While I like “3D” and “Somebody”, I’ve seen far too many clips of his performances of “Standing Next to You” on my Tik Tok For You page for it to not be one of my favourites. The deep bass guitar and background vocals are slightly reminiscent of The Weeknd. With grandiose instrumentals of the opening and choreography complemented by a trumpet breakdown, this song was meant to be performed.  

4. Love. – Wave to Earth 

For the hopeless romantics, Wave to Earth produces dreamy indie-pop songs. “Love.” is simple and sweet, with soft vocals accompanied with nothing far beyond an electric guitar and jazzy percussion. Above all, the lyrics are poetic and wholesome, encapsulating the idea of love perfectly. A few other songs I recommend from Wave to Earth include “Homesick” and “Seasons”.  

5. Good Enough – Xdinary Heroes 

Finally, “Good Enough” is a theatrical ballad from a Korean rock band, Xdinary Heroes. It includes strings, piano, and sentimental lyrics, with a strong focus on melodramatic vocals. What I find most notable is the gradual build-up towards the consuming finale, which pleasantly contrasts with what started as a hazy ballad. 

Christine Phen

McMaster '26

Christine Phen is a second-year student in the Honours Life Sciences program at McMaster University. In her free time, she likes to bake, develop new song obsessions, and spend time with family and friends. She is excited to embark on her journey as a writer for Her Campus McMaster!