Style

Galentine’s Day: How to Celebrate Your Gal Pals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McMaster chapter.

Oh, how I miss my dearest female friends. Not being able to see them in person has been really difficult, but Galentine’s Day has come to the rescue! Is there a better excuse to have a virtual Girls’ Night In?! There are so many ways you can spruce up a regular hang out with the girls to make it infinitely more fun! Here are some simple and inexpensive ways to celebrate your girls night:

Dress Up!

Yes, I know – we’ve really grown to love our sweatpants and hoodies this past year. And I know that it might be tough to remember what “dressing up” even means anymore, but I promise you:  a cute outfit and some makeup are just what the doctor ordered to get you energized and empowered. Dust off that smokin’ dress, get creative, and have fun with it! A red lip is a classic “power” moment, but wear whatever feels right for your style! It is so fun to gas up our friends, especially when we know they’re pulling out all the stops to look and feel their best.

Games!

Life isn’t all about fun and games, but on Galentine’s Day it is! And games don’t have to be silly either. A healthy mix of frivolous and more serious games are what can make your time with your female friends that much more meaningful. Take turns asking your friends hilariously outrageous hypothetical questions, like “if (your friend’s name) was a pizza, what toppings would be on her?” or “what celebrity do you picture (your friend’s name) dating?” You can see a full list of weird but entertaining questions to ask your friends here. Once you get all the sillies out with your gals, and the moon is steadily rising high in the dark sky, it might be time to get into more deep-connection questions. It is hard to be vulnerable with friends through a screen, but if you are open and make the effort, you can deepen your female friendships. In order to really know how your friends are doing, you have to be brave enough to ask the burning questions, like, “Are you lying to yourself about something?” or, “What is one thing you want/need to let go of this year?” You can see a full list of deeper questions to ask your female friends here

Food!

A girl’s gotta eat! Food is, in my humble opinion, the fuel and foundation of any gathering, even if it is virtual. It is indeed still possible to enjoy food and fun snacks with your gal pals even if you aren’t “together.” If you and all of your friends happen to live in the same neighborhood, as mine do, you can whip up some scrumptious snacks and deliver them all to your friends’ houses before the virtual party. If you and your friends live far away from each other, you can all make/bake a dish from the same recipe! Some of my favourite valentine’s day themed dinner recipes are rosé pasta a la vodka or vegetarian stuffed red peppers, and for dessert, strawberry shortcake cupcakes! You and your friends can compare your dishes and see how you all did (I am confident everything will be simply *chef’s kiss*)! Bon Appetit! 

Music!

Although food is the most important part of any party, music is a very close second. It may sound difficult to have a dance party when you’re all in different rooms, but if you have the right playlist, and you’re using the right platform for your party, you ladies can dance the night away!! Zoom has a feature that allows a person in a meeting to share computer sound with the group. Think of it as the COVID edition of giving someone the AUX cord. For all things girl power, here is my go-to playlist for music I love to jam out to with my girlfriends.  

I hope these tips help you have the best Galentine’s Day! Female friendships are amazing and staying connected is more important now more than ever. Laugh until your belly hurts, dance until your legs turn to jelly, eat food that brings you joy, and cry proudly. You deserve a night to just be you with your best friends. Let go, have fun, be safe, and enjoy yourself! Happy Galentine’s Day to one and all!

Julianna is a final year Mechanical Engineering Student at McMaster. She is a struggling student by day and a singer/writer/foodie by night. If she had it her way she would be laying on a beach on Lake Huron, soaking up some rays and reading a good book. In her spare time, you may find Julianna daydreaming about bread, obsessing over the new F1 season, or absolutely destroying her glutes at the gym.