Flowers Other Than Roses to Gift Your Partner This Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McMaster chapter.

Although not a necessity, flowers are a love language for many. Many see it as an act of service and a statement of appreciation, love, and care for loved ones are amplified with flowers. Throughout my first to now fourth year of university, I’ve worked in the floral department of my workplace, and have picked up so much along the way. From my years working there, I have received calls from flower recipients to just relay that the flowers they received have brightened their week, especially around Valentine’s Day! My best piece of advice is to ditch pre-made bouquets, they become costly for the amount of flowers, and your partner would so much more appreciate a small hand-picked bouquet curated by you, no matter the budget. While I think roses are stunning, I often receive calls for other flowers that live longer, and bring more light to a room! This is my Valentine’s Day flower guide from someone who’s worked the holiday for 4 years in a row!

1. Calla Lillies

As one of my favourites, calla lilies are offered in potted and cut flower format and are just simply stunning. The potted can last months if cared for with attention, but the cut version just adds so much light to a room. They come in various bright and vibrant colours and can be perfectly tied together with filler greenery like leather, and filler flowers like statice. It is a very unique shaped flower that will have your partner surprised and elated to see a more unique flower in the mix.

2. Carnations

Okay I know, this is deemed probably a basic flower. However, I will defend that it is subjectively better for  someone who is constantly receiving roses. Carnations tend to be on the more cost-effective side but can be bunched and given so much dimension for a lovely Valentine’s Day bouquet. Whether they are standard or mini carnations, they last for weeks on end if stems are cut and water is replaced regularly, and can look so dainty, yet modernized and refined when styled correctly. Paring them with  a bigger flower like hydrangea stems to add volume, or even dainty eucalyptus for height.

3. Snapdragons

The most perfect flower if you are looking for height, and stunning alone or paired with other flowers! Snapdragons are something that your partner may not be able to recognize but be very happy to see, as it is not as common in pre-made bouquets. They are very vibrant in colour, and look straight out of a flower market, even if purchased from a  grocery store. They can stand out on their own in a bouquet wrapped with brown paper and adorned with a bow, but also gorgeous with larger flowers like spider mums, and any greenery would add for stunning presentation. Pro tip, take off all the leaves that will touch water, bacteria can grow and cause them to die sooner than usual. A stunning flower that is a breath of fresh air in a room!

Your partner would be happy and grateful with any flower this Valentine’s Day, but if you want to shake things up from usual roses, these are my recommendations! Some honourable mentions include tulips, peonies, gerbera daisies, and sunflowers. Make sure you ask for bows on all your bouquets and those little cards filled with your love. Your partner will likely cherish these flowers and notes forever, and these flower recommendations are likely to ensure a lovely Valentine’s Day for your partner!

Bianca Giacoboni is a writer at McMaster University's Her Campus. Bianca is starting as a writer in her fourth year at McMaster, and majoring in Honours Political Science. As a Political Science major, Bianca does a lot of research and writing on various topics such as digital and public policy, but also heavily enjoys writing about everything in between. She is very interested in a career in the public policy sector, as well as journalism and communications. In her free time, Bianca loves spending time with her dogs Bella and Gigi, and loves to read. Writing and journaling is a big passion, and hopes she can connect to readers of all kinds.