Five Tips to Improve your Productivity During the School Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McMaster chapter.

As many of you can probably relate, I have started to lose motivation to study around this time of the semester. However, when I found myself deeply regretting procrastinating on midterms, assignments, and exams, I knew that I had to change my ways. Perhaps, the monotony of online school is partially to blame for this burn-out – especially from MS Teams fatigue. I knew that I had to take accountability for my lack of self-discipline. Here are the 5 tips that helped me increase my productivity this semester:

1. You don’t need to start when the time is an even number or multiple of 5. It is fine to start at 3:47.

I used to only start studying when the time was a multiple of five. It just didn’t feel right to start at a time like 3:47. However, I was able to get myself used to it by reminding myself that it’s just a number on my screen.

2. Determine whether you’re a night owl or an early bird, and use that to figure out when the best time for you to study is.

Even though I used to wake up early, I would also sleep late, resulting in me not getting enough sleep. This made me tired throughout the day and I could not find the motivation to do school work. After doing some self-reflecting, I would say that I am an early bird; I find that I am much more productive in the morning. Now, even though I wake up early, I also try to sleep early so that I can feel well-rested for the next productive morning. I find that I now feel more refreshed in the morning and can get more work done throughout the day.

3. Take breaks

This is so important! I cannot remember how many times I have stared at my computer screen for hours, trying to figure out how to answer a question. As the seconds tick by, I feel myself getting more and more confused. I find that taking a quick walk through my neighbourhood or watching a short video on YouTube momentarily takes my mind off of school. This way, when I come back to study, my mind is more clear and my focus is better.

4. Find a study method that works for YOU

There are many study methods out there that may or may not work for you. For instance, the famous Pomodoro Technique does not work for me. Personally, whenever I do not have the motivation to get my school work done, I tell myself, “Just get it over with!”

5. Get rid of distracting things from your workspace

Simple things such as putting your phone on Do Not Disturb, having a clean workspace, and moving away from annoying background noises can help so much with your productivity level. For example, I find that setting my smartwatch to Do Not Disturb allows me to focus better so that it does not vibrate on my wrist every time I receive a notification. While I often feel tempted to check my messages, I remind myself that I can check them after I finish my work.

All in all, it’s definitely hard to pull yourself out of a rut, but with these five steps, it is possible to do so and you will be setting yourself up for success for the rest of the semester!

Michelle Li

McMaster '24

Michelle is a third year Biomedical Discovery and Commercialization student at McMaster University. When she is not studying, she can usually be found reading, testing new recipes or spending too much money on skincare.