Five COVID-Safe Ways to Spend Your Holidays This Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McMaster chapter.

Eight months ago, I was in complete denial that we would still be in lockdown to this day. I was sure that come summertime, life would be back to normal and the pandemic would cease to exist. I remember that in March, I was ecstatic that my birthday was in December, because I would be able to celebrate it just like I had, every other year. However, it’s now the end of November and lockdowns are still imposed. The holidays this year will feel different for everyone, and some of us will be spending it alone without the physical company of our loved ones. However, this doesn’t take away from the celebrations to come. Here are five ways you can spend your holidays safely. 

Attend the Toronto Santa Claus Parade Online

The Santa Claus Parade has been an ongoing event since 1905, bringing thousands of individuals together to celebrate a joyful season. In an attempt to diminish the spread of COVID-19, officials have moved the celebration online, so individuals are still able to enjoy the magic, but in a much safer environment. This year, you are able to tune in to this year’s parade on Saturday December 5th at 7:00pm ET/PT on CTV & CTV2! 

Support Local Businesses 

The pandemic has had a negative toll on many smaller businesses around the world. Many of these independent businesses have been forced to close, either permanently or temporarily. It’s important that we help our local communities and uplift the spirits of these small businesses! Over the past few months, many small businesses have been working hard to stay open, whether it is your favourite breakfast diner or a customizable sneaker store. Two of my friends recently started a business, selling custom-made cake pops for any occasion! If you are in the GTA and have a sweet tooth just like I do, you need to check out @cakepopsbymnm on Instagram. Try to look for local businesses in your area, whether it is related to food, fashion, art, literature or anything else. Find a way to support your community and share that joy with your loved ones! 

Go Sledding

The last time I went sledding with my family was six years ago. With so many establishments being closed due to lockdowns, this is the perfect opportunity to reminisce over your childhood memories. If you are lucky enough to experience a snowfall this year, set aside a few hours of your day to enjoy this holiday festivity with your immediate family. If you prefer to stay at home due to the risk of exposure, consider building a snowman in the safety of your front yard. 

Bake Christmas Treats 

As someone who loves baking and enjoys making delicious desserts, I am looking forward to creating holiday themed treats this Christmas! I personally have never made cupcakes, so I have decided to bake some for when I finish all my exams! After watching Kylie Jenner’s adorable YouTube video with her daughter Stormi, I have been inspired to recreate her ‘Grinch Cupcakes’ and share them with my family and loved ones!

Decorate your house while listening to your favourite Christmas tunes 

You will be spending more time than usual at home this year, so you might as well decorate your house and set the mood for the holidays. Simply adding a Christmas tree or a few pops of colour around the house will brighten your spirit and make this Christmas just as special as any other year. Get creative and have as much fun as possible! 

Currently, we are facing a global pandemic, which is something that many people aren’t choosing to acknowledge. While 2020 has been ‘cancelled’ and we are ready for this virus to disappear, this won’t be made possible unless we collectively do our parts in staying safe. Remember that you aren’t facing this alone, people all around the world are undergoing the same circumstances. While this may not be the ideal way you choose to spend your holidays, there is no reason that you shouldn’t celebrate, if done safely. Happy holidays to all, may this year end off joyfully and with a smile on your face! As Dorothy says in The Wizard of Oz, “There’s no place like home.”

Aya Shbeeb

McMaster '23

Aya is a second year student at McMaster University pursuing a major in Sociology. She looks forward to sharing her passion for writing amongst her peers through a variety of topics and prevalent societal issues. Outside of school, you can find Aya baking a new dessert of the day!