Career > Work

Corporate Culture: Dealing with Work Life Balance

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McMaster chapter.

Well, it’s that time of year again folks. Time to put those thinking caps on and polish up those resumes and cover letters. Time to go through an endless cycle of overthinking and mental breakdowns consisting of whether or not you’re capable of entering the professional workforce. Hold on tight; it’s internship application season! Now, don’t get me wrong. Application season can be different for everyone. Although you may not land your dream job on the first try, exploring your options and doing a summer internship can really help you gain some invaluable professional skills like time management, communication, leadership, etc. It’s an excellent opportunity to learn new skills, grow as a person and integrate yourself into the professional field. I landed my first-ever corporate internship this summer and wanted to share a few personal experiences I learned as a rookie in the workplace.

Take the initiative. During the first month of my internship, I was terrified of connecting with colleagues and coworkers as I was still so new to the company and my role. The field I was in was not my forte, and I was so busy trying to adapt to my position and the technology and tools that the company used. I would go to work every morning, sit at my desk and just wait until it was time to go home. It didn’t feel like a fulfilling job, as I was completing the same routine every day. I’m a very social person as well; I love meeting new people and trying new things. Still, when opportunities came my way to broaden my horizons, I would simply ignore them as I feared networking in a new environment, and I was also still trying to become efficient at my job. All I did was watch opportunities to help me create a reputation for myself as I sat at my desk each and every day, trying to learn how to do my role. Eventually, with time and practice, I got more confident in my job, and I embraced every opportunity that came my way to create a reputation for myself. I took the initiative to work at events my boss was planning. I volunteered to take meeting minutes and joined the student leadership organization to plan events for co-op students within the company. Taking initiative allowed me to broaden my horizons, meet amazing new people and gave me opportunities for self-growth.

Ask, ask and ask away! I know this may sound a little intimidating but do not be afraid to ask questions or ask for clarification whenever needed. Asking questions makes you seem passionate about your work and shows you have the drive and willingness to learn new information. Clarifying doubts when necessary is a critical part of effective communication that fosters a positive work environment. Whenever you don’t understand a particular concept or feel as if you’re still not confident in performing tasks independently, reach out to a trusted colleague or manager to assist you. If you sit in silence, trying to do your job with no knowledge of what you’re doing, you could potentially risk your company, reputation, and job. Being curious does not make you seem annoying or repetitive; it merely shows that you want to be able to perform your job properly.

Remember that at the end of the day, you are a student, and your workplace expectations are much different than the company’s expectations for full-time employees. It’s your job to learn what is expected of you and to fulfill those expectations, but if you find yourself struggling to perform your job to your best ability, don’t worry too much. You have an amazing network and support system of colleagues, managers and friends who would be more than happy to navigate you on the right path to success. Be bold, take risks, and ask questions. If you ever feel like you’ve asked too many questions or are uncomfortable talking to anyone at work, try to find new approaches to solving your problems. Think from different perspectives and utilize everything you learned to try and solve the problem on your own. You were hired for a reason. You have drive, determination, passion and dedication. Use those skills to your advantage.

I hope these small tips will give you some semblance of comfort and hopefully ease the tensions before you start a new job. I completely understand how intimidating and overwhelming working in a professional setting can be. Staying passionate about your work and being driven and motivated will show your company and yourself that every opportunity that comes across your path can lead to bigger, better results and can help you enhance your professional skills and reach your personal goals.

Shanmitha Kumar

McMaster '24

Hello there bloggers! My name is Shanmitha and I'm so excited to be a writer for Her Campus this year. One of my hobbies is to read and write, especially journal. I enjoy writing as it is a form of self care for me. Writing has always been my creative outlet to escape to whenever I am stressed or overwhelmed. I like to note down my thoughts to fully understand my emotions and where I'm coming from as writing gives me a lot more clarity about my inner thoughts and allows me to come to terms with my emotions and find a solution in a rational manner. My goal as a writer for Her Campus is to write about issues that anyone may be facing in silence and help them overcome their struggles. Apart from writing, you can find me exploring new cafes, learning a dance routine, singing a cover of Taylor Swift and travelling. I am so looking forward to reading everyone's articles and join the team!!