“BookTok”: Inside the Latest Book Community

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McMaster chapter.

TikTok has unlocked a new and innovative way for people to create and join communities with common interests. The popular social media app has been very effective in dictating trends that range from dance videos to fashion and beauty advice.

The latest corner of the TikTok universe is commonly referred to as “BookTok.” This community is filled with content creators and book lovers who share recommendations, (good and bad) reviews, and express their overall passion for reading. Over the past year, BookTok has revolutionized the publishing industry. It has assisted in restoring old books to become best sellers again and has even launched the careers of new authors. As this community continues to grow, many non-readers are discovering reading is not so boring after all, and I’m one of those people!

I randomly discovered this side of TikTok in May 2021. As someone who only read books for school assignments, it was a surprise when a 30 second video convinced me to take a trip to the bookstore. I quickly became obsessed! I started to read two to three books per month, making lists of BookTok recommendations, and even book swapping with my best friends and my mom. It completely changed my life and daily routine for the better. I noticed my screen time being reduced as I was no longer endlessly scrolling on social media (especially before bed), and I felt an overall sense of calm in my life. I truly believe BookTok gave me inspiration and a refreshing change that was much needed. I hope it can do the same for other non-readers!

If you’re interested in learning more, search up the hashtag #BookTok on TikTok to explore and find popular creators within the book community, or visit your local bookstore to browse their BookTok sections.

Must Read Recommendations for New (or Experienced) Book Lovers:

• Mystery/Thriller: Confessions on the 7:45 by Lisa Unger
  • Romance: People You Meet on Vacation by Emily Henry
  • Comedy: The Unhoneymooners by Christina Lauren
  • Wellness/Self-Help: The Defining Decade: why your twenties matter – and how to make the most of them by Meg Jay
Chelsea Ogden

McMaster '23

Chelsea is a 2023 Communications Studies graduate from McMaster University. She is passionate about writing and looks forward to pursuing her goal of working in the entertainment and consumer industry as a public relations practitioner. Her Campus has provided her with the opportunity to have a creative outlet and to gain experience as a writer.