Life > Experiences

Best Café’s and Coffee Spots in the Hamilton and the Greater Hamilton Area

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McMaster chapter.

Are you looking for a new study spot going to exam season? Or somewhere cozy to grab a coffee while you’re stuck in Hamilton over the winter break? Or simply want somewhere new to explore to change up your routine? 

As a coffee connoisseur and café frequenter, I have perfected my list of go-to spots in Hamilton and the greater Hamilton area. All of these spots have something different to offer and the biggest plus is that they are all local small businesses. The list is ordered by proximity to McMaster’s campus, so you have the best options for wherever you go!  

Westdale

The Grind – McMaster University Student Center

The Grind is a perfect spot right on campus where you can grab a cup of coffee and sit to do work. Being surrounded by other students makes it a cozy and inviting place to hang out with friends or study on your own. My go to order is a flat white, and the crepe station is a special feature that nowhere else has! It is also a part of the MSU so the money you spend goes back into you! 

Paisley Coffee House & Eatery – King Street W 

Paisley seems like the obvious choice to any who lives in or frequents Westdale, but that’s because it lives up to the hype! My go to is the chicken and havarti sandwich with caramelized onions and arugula, all on amazing quality sourdough. There is nothing basic about Paisley and the syrups they use for their coffee are delicious with an amazing variety. 

Dundas 

Detour – King Street W 

This one may be my favourite on the list! It has a wonderful New Zealand twist to their food, which is all homemade; even the bread is baked in house. They have their own coffee blends which is all great quality and amazing taste and whatever they put in their mocha’s is to die for. The food is all so elevated, especially the avocado toast with always ripe avocado, radishes, arugula and house made aioli. 

Downtown Hamilton 

Mulberry Coffeehouse – James St. N 

Mulberry is in a building from the 1880’s, which has beautiful brick walls adorned by local artists’ works. They do serve beer, wine and cocktails so it’s a great spot for a night time visit, but their breakfast bagels are worth the morning stop too. The location is also perfect, located on the heart of Hamilton on James Street with hobby shops all around. 

The Canon – Ottawa St. N 

The canon is the hidden gem of the list by far because of their waffles! Sweet and savoury, they serve waffle sandwiches and plates with a variety of toppings to choose from! My personal favourite is the veggie brunch and a classic latte and is definitely worth the trip up to the up-and-coming Ottawa street. (Bonus: right next door is the cutest indie bookstore called The City & The City Books)

Williams by the Waterfront – Discovery Dr.  

While Williams has the same menu as their other franchises, it has the nicest view by far! Great open windows to see the water with lots to do around; it’s a great spot if you are up for an adventure! I love William’s frappes and their mac and cheese for some sweetness and comfort. 

Waterdown/Aldershot 

Copper Kettle Café – Dundas St. E  

The Copper Kettle Café is the place to go for atmosphere, perfect for a lunch date, or to get cozy and do some work for a bit as there is a lot of seating. The menu is huge, with all-day breakfast and an array of sandwiches, from the classics to innovative choices that get served with a house made soup or salad. Make sure to try their famous apple fritters made hot to order and grab a coffee made from their own house roast. Nothing is a miss on this list. 

Peach Coffee Co.- Plains Rd. E  

Peach Coffee is a picture-perfect spot as everything inside is pink! They use detour coffee, which is to die for, and their drinks are always beautifully crafted and served in a cup that they hand write cute affirmations on. They always have house made sweet treats that change up daily, with my favourite ever being a pecan pie bar to go along with an oat milk cappuccino. 

Hi friends! My name is Jaimie, and I am in my fourth year at McMaster University for Political Science. I am a person of many hobbies that all seem to die hard at one point or another. But anything that can transport me is what I'm most passionate about, whether its reading, writing, music or shows and movies, I love it all.