5 Places to Start Your Holiday Shopping in Canada

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McMaster chapter.

Holiday season seems to be starting extra early this year! The gift guides are out, the Starbucks Holiday drinks are being poured and served, and my boyfriend was blasting Kelly Clarkson’s new Christmas album during our video call yesterday. After over a year and a half in a Covid-defined world, we are excited and eager for something good; the holiday season promises us joy, comfort and love.

With this in mind, I am starting my Christmas shopping early. Admittedly, I love shopping and I love gifting, so this doesn’t feel like a chore at all. I know folks who dread holiday gifting though (because let’s be honest, mom can only use so many pyjamas, earrings and Bath and Body Works candles). With this in mind, I’ve drummed up a little list to help you start your holiday shopping, so that you can be cuddled on the couch watching Elf on the 24th, rather than in a 47-person line at the mall behind all of the husbands doing their last minute shopping.

For the yogi:

The Lululemon Align pants are soft and buttery, making them perfect for yoga, self-care days, neighbourhood walks, and everything in between. As an employee of the company, I’m probably a little biased, but the fact that I wear my Scuba Hoodie 3-5 times a week, speaks for itself. And this holiday season, you can get your hands on some Lululemon gear, while not breaking the bank. Click HERE to shop my link and be directed to the We Made Too Much (aka sale) section on the Lululemon website. Let’s just say, this is the button you are going to want to click on Black Friday.

For the one already setting a fitness goal for the new year:

I love my Fitbit. I love it. I’ll be honest, I’m no track star. But when the little buzzer goes off at the end of a long day, reporting I reached my 10,000 step goal – I am thrilled! The Fitbit Inspire 2 normally retails for $129.95, but until November 9th it is on for $79.95. My new year’s resolution last year was to get more steps in each day, so this would have made the perfect Christmas gift. I ended up gifting it to myself for my birthday, and I can’t speak highly enough about it (no, this article is not sponsored). The sleep, menstruation, and step trackers are easy to use, making this product a worthwhile investment.

For the fashion lover:

Name-brand purses can be expensive, let’s face it. This said, I recently learned that Kate Spade has a popup surprise/sale website. This website has lots of sale items to choose from, including a “Deal of the Day” section, where they post a new purse each day for an amazing markdown price. They also have jewelry and purse/wallet bundles, where you save more by buying multiple items. Note that while the prices are all in USD, they ship free all across the US and Canada.  

For the homeowner:

Literally anything from Bed, Bath & Beyond. My first rule of thumb here: never pay full price. One of the reasons I love Bed, Bath & Beyond coupons is because of the amazing coupons and discounts they offer. When you sign up for My Offers, you get discounts every month (for example: right now I have a $15 off $50 coupon as well as a 20% any one item coupon, both waiting for me). This is the perfect place to shop for your friend who got a new condo, your dad who definitely needs a new coffee machine, or your sister getting ready for university. 

My final words of advice: get Rakuten. With all of the holiday shopping you are doing, Rakuten will reward you with cashback, usually ranging from 1-5%. It may not seem like much, but it is better than nothing, and certainly adds up!

Happy Shopping! Wishing you all a wonderful and stress-free experience!

Hilary is a fourth year student at McMaster University, majoring in English while pursuing a concurrent Certificate in Leadership & Cross-Cultural Literacy. Outside of school, she loves to sing, cook/bake, and spend time with family and friends. Her happy places include the grocery store & outdoors (most likely hiking)