This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McMaster chapter.

The fall season is finally upon us! The leaves are changing colours and the crisp autumn wind now carries a sense of change. There’s no better way to welcome the season than by taking a deep dive into the world of Korean dramas (or K-dramas). From thrilling mysteries to fantastical romances, K-dramas are notable for the genre’s ability to captivate viewers by developing unforgettable characters, rich narratives, and enchanting cinematography. Whether you’re a seasoned K-drama enthusiast or new to this world on screen, this list has something for everyone. So grab a cup of your favourite warm drink (mine is masala chai), bundle up with a cozy blanket, and get ready for an exciting fall season.

1. Hotel del Luna

Hotel del Luna is not your typical hotel but one that exclusively accommodates the needs of ghostly guests and spirits who are unable to move on to the afterlife. Due to a tragic sin she committed in her past, Jang Man-wol (IU) is cursed and bound to the hotel as its owner. Along with her employees, Jang Man-Wol helps hotel guests fulfill their lifelong desires and resolve their regrets so they can find peace. Things take an interesting turn when Goo Chan-sung (Yeo Jin-goo), a young hotelier, is forced to fill the temporary position of the hotel’s manager. Together, the two uncover the secrets behind the mysterious hotel and develop a deep bond with each other. Simultaneously, viewers follow Man-wol’s journey to redemption as she uncovers her past and attempts to obtain peace of her own. Through its use of captivating visuals, swoon-worthy dialogues, and Man-wol’s luxurious outfits, this series is a perfect mix of romance, fantasy, and humor.

2. My Liberation Notes

My Liberation Notes is a slice-of-life drama that features the story of three siblings and an intriguing stranger who find themselves fed up with their mundane adulthood lives. Yeom Mi-jeong (Kim Ji-won) and her siblings live in the village of Sanpo with their parents and find their commutes to their jobs in Seoul to be exhausting. Things begin to pick up when their father hires Mr. Gu (Son Suk-ku) to work at their family farm and business. The storyline primarily follows Yeom Mi-jeong and Mr. Gu’s journey to seek liberation – to embrace who you are wholly and explore where life can take you. This show might just be the king of slowburns, because Mi-jeong and Gu’s chemistry is crackling! My Liberation Notes is the perfect watch for when you’re feeling lost in life; not only does this K-drama portray a realistic life, but it also tackles growth, healing, and the human condition. If this doesn’t convince you to watch the drama, surely Son Suk-ku’s dreamy smile should!

3. Strangers from Hell (Hell Is Other People)

As you can probably tell from its title, Strangers from Hell belongs to the psychological horror-thriller genre. The plot revolves around Yoon Jong-woo, played by Im Si-wan, who relocates to Seoul after landing a new job. After moving into a shady but affordable apartment complex, he’s quick to realize its residents are quite abnormal, even frightening. He befriends Dr. Hong, a bizarre dentist, who helps Jong-woo navigate his eerie surroundings. The two discover the sinister and disturbing mysteries within the apartment. Strangers from Hell explores intense themes of fear, oppression, and the extent of cruelty. This dark and suspenseful show is perfect to add to your fall Halloween watchlist. I guarantee you’ll be sitting on the edge of your seat!

Gurleen is a third-year student at McMaster University, majoring in the Honours Biology Research Specialization and minoring in English and Cultural Studies. She’s had a passion for biology since high school and although the field seems vast and endless from time to time, she defines herself as a learner. In her free time—or rather most of the time—you'll find her reading a romance or fantasy novel, watching k-dramas, or translating her imagination into words. She's a writer at McMaster's HerCampus chapter excited to delve into life, wellness and academics!