Wizarding Reads: Books for a Hufflepuff

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MCLA chapter.

Editor’s Note: The following is part of a four-part series by Madeline McKeon, in which she compiles a list of books reflective of each of the four houses in the “Harry Potter” series.  

“What’s your Hogwarts House?” was one of the first questions that an admissions counselor asked during my first college interview. I thought it was an odd question at the time—do they immediately throw out Slytherins? What happens if you’ve never read Harry Potter? It is, in retrospect, a pretty insightful question though. Your Hogwarts House—self-chosen or determined by the Internet Gods—is supposed to correlate with your most significant traits. Gryffindors are bold and courageous, Hufflepuffs are loyal and kind, Ravenclaws are wise and thoughtful, and Slytherins are ambitious and cunning. People’s (sometimes terrifyingly aggressive) pride in their house has finally bled into people’s reading habits outside of the Harry Potter series. The Sorting Hat Challenge is simple. What books have you read that echo the essence of each house?

Hufflepuff: “Only the gentle are truly strong.”

Hufflepuffs are the kind of friends you want to have. Kind, loyal, and hard-working. Good finders. Hufflepuffs often get short shrift for being dumb or push-overs but in fact that possess more moral fortitude and inner strength probably than all the other houses combined. Also, their dormitory is right next to the kitchens—so who’s really winning at Hogwarts?

1. The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down by Anne Fadiman

This the true story of the Lee family, a family of Hmong refugees in the United States, whose youngest daughter Lia is diagnosed as an infant with epilepsy. The ensuing series of cultural misunderstandings between the Lees and Lia’s doctors raises questions of how doctors can build better relationships with their patients and bridge the gaps between hard science and traditional medicines.

2. The Passion of Dolssa by Julie Berry

Dolssa is a girl who claims she speaks to Jesus—her “Beloved.” Condemned as a heretic, Dolssa escapes execution by fleeing to the countryside where she encounters three innkeeping sisters who take her in. This novel shows supportive female friendship at its best and also the dangers of removing good from a society simply because it’s different.

3. Cooked by Michael Pollan

This book changed the way I eat and how I thought about food. Pollan explores how to make foods using the four elements: fire, water, earth and wind. He also, most frighteningly, explores how we process and consume our foods and the ethical, environmental and medical implications of that. Think of it as a darker spin on the Hogwarts feast.

4. The Marvels by Brian Selznick

Did I include another Brian Selznick book? Yes. Do I care? No, because this book is, in my opinion, much better than Hugo Cabret. Sorry, not sorry. This book tackles death, grief, the AIDS crisis and the power of theatre all through the lens of a young, isolated boy building a network of friendships through his eccentric uncle. Also, the drawings are still gorgeous.

5. Bog Child by Siobhan Dowd

Set during The Troubles in Ireland, Fergus McCann is a young man studying to go to university. However, his brother is imprisoned on hunger strike and he’s been pressured into working for the IRA. In the midst of this, he’s discovered the body of a prehistoric girl in a nearby bog and is now dreaming of her life. The strength of Fergus and the ‘bog child’ as their parallel worlds spin out of control marks this as a Hufflepuff must-read.

Madeleine McKeon is a junior History major at the Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts. She enjoys travelling, learning new things, and playing her out-of-tune piano. She hopes to one day make the perfect cheesecake.
Mitchell Chapman is a young journalist looking to make a name for himself. He's been published in The Berkshire Eagle, Bennington Banner, Brattleboro Reformer and the Huffington Post and was the editor of his school's newspaper, The Beacon, after serving first as A & E Editor and then Managing Editor. He is a big science fiction fan, and is known for his quips on the blockbuster movie industry. He is a proud brother of the Sigma Chi Beta fraternity.