Why going to a small college is the bomb.com

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MCLA chapter.

If there’s one thing MCLA kids love, it’s ragging on MCLA. It’s just not cool to be in to the establishment man, and let’s face core requirements, ARAMARK, and going to college in the middle of nowhere can be kind of a drag—let’s not even get started on winter in North Adams. But as much as we all love to Yak about our frustration about the lack of parties, the limited dating pool, and the limited job and internship opportunities, we do have to admit going to a small college can be kind of rad at times.

You usually get your first choice in housing

Once you’ve passed the comparative hell that is freshmen year, it’s not hard to enter the ranks of upperclassmen townhouse life. Most schools don’t offer housing quite as swanky as our townhouses, especially not to sophomores. Yeah you still have RA’s and RASM’s and the townhouse foundation definitely needs an upgrade but living with your five closest friends in your own apartment at only 19 is kind of the best.

You actually know all your professors

At big schools there are lecture halls with hundreds of students. You’re professors aren’t likely to notice when you skip class. They also aren’t likely to meet with you if you aren’t getting the material (that’s what TA’s are for). For better or for worse (though we think it’s definitely for the better) you’re going to form a relationship with your professors and if they’re in your major you’re bound to have them more than once.

Making your own opportunities is really easy

Do you want to run your own art gallery? Study abroad? Start a club? Swap a core with an independent study? Work around the school’s internship policy? At a small school there’s less channels to travel to achieve your dreams and enact innovative ideas. Because everyone knows you you’re likely to receive the support you ask for and sometimes you can use this to your advantage. All you do is take the initiative and make it happen.

It’s easy to stand out

Whether you’re looking for scholarships, internships, honors, or an opportunity to conduct undergrad research at a small school there’s less competition. Applying is half the battle, not everyone is going to have the same interests as you, and out of those that do few will actually apply. If you really want something and you apply for it there’s a strong chance you’ll get it.

Harmony Birch is not a tree, a guitar, or a female professor living in the UK. She is a student with a journalism concentration minoring in Arts Management and Women's Studies at MCLA, who tries to fully embrace the neurotic, workaholic New England lifestyle. In addition to being a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus MCLA, Harmony is the Managing Editor at The Beacon, and President of Students for a Democratic Society. When she's not writing articles or being an activist , Harmony can be found working on Shakespeare shows with Yorick, idolizing Willow from Buffy the Vampire Slayer, or waiting (not so patiently) for her Hogwarts letter.