This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MCLA chapter.

Women are often looked at by the men they are dating or even men on the streets as nothing more than somebody to sleep with, as if the beating heart inside of their chests does not exist and their personality is the same as talking to a wall. The important aspects of a woman are overlooked as their bodies become the only focus. The eye rolls are mistaken as flirting and attitude is taken as playing hard to get. A friendly smile is automatically seen as “she wants me,” when really it was nothing more then being friendly. When, in a relationship, the woman has often been treated as if she has one job: to satisfy her man.

This is getting old. It’s time to grow up and see women as we truly are.

There is more to every woman then just the body they have; we do not need to look good for you. We do not dress up to please you, we dress for ourselves. It feels good to look nice, and we should not have to feel guilty for looking nice on occasion because it makes you feel a certain way.

We are not dogs: do not whistle at us. That’s not a compliment, it’s annoying.

Do not beep at us when we are walking on the street, all it does it make us jump because we’re scared, and do not yell out of your car window to tell us we look good, we already know. When we smile at you when passing you on the street, we do not want to hook up, it is just the friendly thing to do when making eye contact with someone.

Women are human beings with feelings and a beating heart. We do not live to satisfy your needs and it is about time you realize that. Women are beautiful for the way they are on inside and the personality they portray, the one you fail to acknowledge because you are too busy looking at our bodies. Get to know the people we are rather than expect us to take our clothes off for you.

News flash: sex is not an obligation in a relationship. You are not obligated to have sex just because you are in a relationship or just because someone looks good. Once you realize there is more to women then sex, the easier and happier your life will become. When you love a woman for the person she is and you make her feel respected and cared for, you’ll be amazed at the other things she is willing to do for you.

Now, I know not all men are like this and I know sometimes men are used for sex as well, but it is mainly women who face this struggle. Man or woman, you deserve to be respected. There is more to you than your body, and those who fail to realize that are not worth your time. 

Meghan is a sophomore who majors in Psychology with a minor in behavior analysis. She is one of the two campus correspondents of the MCLA chapter. Writing has become first nature for her- it's like riding a bike into paradise. She primarily writes about love with the hope to become the female version of Nicholas Sparks someday.
Mitchell Chapman is a young journalist looking to make a name for himself. He's been published in The Berkshire Eagle, Bennington Banner, Brattleboro Reformer and the Huffington Post and was the editor of his school's newspaper, The Beacon, after serving first as A & E Editor and then Managing Editor. He is a big science fiction fan, and is known for his quips on the blockbuster movie industry. He is a proud brother of the Sigma Chi Beta fraternity.