This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MCLA chapter.

By definition, tolerance is the ability or willingness to tolerate something, in particular the existence of opinions or behavior that one does not necessarily agree with. Tolerance is what I have for Molly. I guess she is okay. She has her days I guess. She feels the same about me. Our friendship is built around tolerance.

The first stage of our friendship was association. We simply just existed within each others lives through Shea. She came into my room because her, Shea and I were annoyed by the same group of people. Since I have a single, my room was considered “the breakdown room” in other words, the room where everyone comes to escape the people we don’t appreciate.

The Good Place. Molly and I started to really talk when our group of friends started watching movies in the Taconic room every night. This was short lived because we were all always exhausted by the end of the night, so we hardly ever finished anything. One night everyone went to bed but Molly really wanted to stay up and watch “Coraline”. Even though we had never hung out alone before, I chose to stay up with her. This was the night we really talked one on one and got to know more of what the other likes. Common interests didn’t really exist and I could tell. After all, “Coraline” is her favorite movie and I hated every moment of the show. She ended up changing the movie at least six different times and eventually left on one of her favorite shows, “The Good Place”. (Little did she know I only stayed because she was cute).

The Okay Place. From there on Molly and I continued our friendship while learning more about each other. This was where we realized we don’t have anything in common besides fangirling over attractive girls. She didn’t know who Callie Torres was from “Grey’s Anatomy” and that was when I knew a friendship with Molly just wasn’t possible. She always jokingly judged everything I did and I always jokingly told her the friendship was over. On Valentine’s Day we gave each other cards and she wrote “I judge you because it means I tolerate you” and this is when I decided I suppose I can tolerate her. (Little does she know it’s only because she’s okay looking).

Molly and I tolerate each others existence. She judges me and I take embarrassing pictures of her to use against her. I think what Molly really has going for her is how she is sometimes able to make me laugh or sometimes a little bit of a smile. I guess she has some good things about her but really there’s nothing Molly likes more than warm weather and coffee, so everything else in her life is just tolerated. She doesn’t care much about anyone but at the same time cares about everyone. She’s complicated and unique.

Even though Molly and I only ever tolerate each other, we do also still care about each other. If the other one seems upset or is in an off mood we always ask “are you okay?” Which I guess helps me tolerate her, knowing we both mutually care when needed.  

Meghan is a sophomore who majors in Psychology with a minor in behavior analysis. She is one of the two campus correspondents of the MCLA chapter. Writing has become first nature for her- it's like riding a bike into paradise. She primarily writes about love with the hope to become the female version of Nicholas Sparks someday.