photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash

Reviewing “The Bold Type”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MCLA chapter.

Now I’m sure you’ve heard about the new Freeform show called “The Bold Type.” If you haven’t, it’s a new show on Freeform that premiered on June 20 and centers around three young girls and their time working for a national magazine called Scarlet. Inspired by Cosmo’s editor and chief, Joanna Coles, the shows’ three main characters represent different aspects of the magazine. Jane Sloan (Katie Stevens) is a writer, Kat Edison (Aisha Dee) is the social media director, and Sutton Brady (Meghann Fahy) is the assistant trying to reach for higher goals.

The show does a lot of things very well and touches on some sensitive subjects gracefully. They talk about sexuality, women’s rights, race, and a lot of other things that young girls might be struggling with. With sexuality, Kat’s character struggles in the first few episodes questioning herself when she falls for another girl Adena El Amin (Nikohl Boosheri). Adena is Muslim and they show her struggles as well, both from the people around her reacting to her race and her struggles for citizenship.

Jane struggles with having several articles assigned to her that are maybe a little more personal diving into female sexuality as a whole. She must explore herself and step out of her comfort zone to write articles that from a male perspective might not be seen as a big deal. This is highlighted by her counterpart on the magazine Pinstripe, Ryan Decker (Dan Jennotte), who writes a sex column for men. He’s confident in his sexuality where she isn’t. This in turn highlights how women have often been afraid of expressing their sexuality and how Jane becomes okay with her own experiences and expressing herself as a writer.

Meanwhile, Sutton is trying to choose between a financially stable job in finances and taking her dream job in the fashion department. Through this, she begins learning how to be strong and negotiate for what she really wants and needs instead of just sitting back and letting life take its course. It’s an important lesson for young women to have in life and I’m excited to see more of it.

“The Bold Type” is dynamic and fresh in its perspective of drama. So far there has been no drama between the three main girls and they’re supportive of each other, which is different than the norm of seeing mean girls and catty fights. Even their boss Jacqueline Carlyle (Melora Hardin) breaks away from the “Devil Wears Prada” expectation of an editor and is a kind and understanding mentor figure for the girls, always giving them new life advice to make them better women overall. This show is bold in its content and sends good messages out to viewers who can relate to the characters. It’s real and unapologetic and a must watch for any young woman.

Brigid Downey is a senior at the Massachusetts College of Liberal arts. She is an English major with a concentration in creative writing and a minor in business. On campus, she is the social media director for MCLA's chapter of Her Campus. She's also the events liaison MCLA's chapter of Sigma Tau Delta, a national English honor's society. She is also an inducted member of the National Society of Leadership and Success and is very involved with her school's Dance Company.  Off campus, she works on her own writing in hopes of one day getting published and runs her own blog, Creative Dreamer. She loves reading, writing, and working on her cosplay. She is always being creative and is a self-proclaimed nerd.  
Mitchell Chapman is a young journalist looking to make a name for himself. He's been published in The Berkshire Eagle, Bennington Banner, Brattleboro Reformer and the Huffington Post and was the editor of his school's newspaper, The Beacon, after serving first as A & E Editor and then Managing Editor. He is a big science fiction fan, and is known for his quips on the blockbuster movie industry. He is a proud brother of the Sigma Chi Beta fraternity.