This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MCLA chapter.

If you think you know tattoo shops, think again: Alexis Rosasco of AR Designs Fine Art & Tattoo is here to prove you wrong in the best way possible. Her business, located on Holden Street in North Adams (a fifteen minute walk from MCLA), operates more like a zen coffee shop than your stereotypical tattoo parlor.

Several months ago, I set out to find a reputable tattoo artist in the Berkshires. After a bit of research and asking around the MCLA campus, I stumbled upon Rosasco’s work. It only took a quick browse of her website and Facebook page for me to decide she was the artist for me. 

Photo of Alexis and her artwork.

Her work is masterful, her attitude is delightful, and her professionalism is unmatched. She is a graduate from Tufts University and the School of Museum of Fine Arts in Boston—in summary, she knows what she’s doing. Aside from her stellar credentials, she has a uniquely spiritual philosophy when it comes to tattoos. Her attachment to the art can be best described by a quote on her website, aar4ink.com:

“Life is a journey. Taking the time to know why my client is drawn to the imagery they are drawn to provides me with an additional layer of understanding as an artist. It enables me to create something that is not only visually stunning, but is also an authentic representation of the imageries inward significance to the individual. I like to understand people.” 

Photo of Alexis sketching a tattoo on another client.

From my first moment meeting Rosasco, this philosophy was evidently true.

I set up a consultation with her several months ago. I walked down to AR Designs with a friend and was immediately met by a quaint and comforting atmosphere. Her shop, warmy lit and decorated with a plethora of her own artwork, has a calming effect akin to a family-owned bookstore or local coffee shop. 

Rosasco’s attitude was just as comforting as her shop itself. I was immediately blown away by her hospitality; She welcomed my friend and I in, offered us something from the Keurig, and had us sit down to chat about my tattoo idea. She came off as an incredibly down-to-earth person.

I came to Alexis with a drawing of my own, which I was hoping to get tattooed on my upper arm. She was thrilled with it, and emphasized many times that she was excited to have the opportunity to tattoo it on me. 

Considering this was my first tattoo experience, I had an onslaught of questions. Her answers were in-depth and honest. I saw many of Rosasco’s values as a tattoo artist come out in our conversation. For instance, she emphasized how she loves to work slowly, unlike other tattoo artists who might rush through a piece to get their client in and out of the chair as fast as possible. She also stressed that this tattoo was like a back-and-forth process between the client and artist, in order to ensure I was getting the right tattoo I needed to “help me be me.”

After this meeting, I was happier than ever that AR Designs would be the birthplace of my first tattoo.

Photo of the back of AR Designs Fine Art & Tattoo.

On the day of my appointment a few months later, I had the most genuine tattoo experience I could have asked for. 

Rosasco greeted me cordially and invited my friends and I to sit in the lounge area while she set up the tattooing area, which is nested at the back of her shop. As she set up, she made sure I was aware of everything she was doing; for example, she made it a point to show me that the needle she would use was freshly opened and disposable.

From the very beginning of the tattoo process, Rosasco was wholly concerned with my comfortability, preferences, and boundaries. Once we were ready to get the ball rolling, she gently prepped my arm and discussed the size and placement of my tattoo with me. We printed several copies of the tattoo stencil until I was happy with the size. Once she put the stencil on my skin, she let me look in the mirror for as long as I needed to make sure it was satisfactory. Once I was satisfied, she sat me in the chair and we were ready to begin.

Being my first tattoo experience, I was nervous. As she dipped the needle in the ink and got ready to make the first line, I asked her to stop so I could collect myself. We spent an additional five minutes discussing what kind of pain I could expect (which, she assured me, would be minimal.) Once I was ready, she went in with a steady, gentle hand and started working. To my delight, it was virtually painless. 

Photo of the tattoo chair and workspace in AR Designs.

My tattoo took around two and a half to three hours to complete—I imagine it could have been shorter, but we did stop to chat and have hot drinks. While being tattooed, I occupied myself by watching “The Office” on Netflix (which Rosasco put on the TV for me) and making conversation with her and my friend. The environment could be described as nothing else but relaxed. Again, she showed a great amount of concern for me: she frequently asked if I was alright while being tattooed. Thankfully, I was able to answer yes.

By 5 p.m. that day, my tattoo was finally done. (Rosasco spent an additional five minutes touching up areas she said “other people might not notice, but I need to perfect for my own peace of mind.”) I stood up, looked in the mirror, and was blown away: it looked incredible. I wanted my tattoo to be constructed of bold, clean lines—and that is exactly what I got. The piece on my arm was just as beautiful as I had pictured, if not more beautiful.  

Photo of my tattoo, done February 2nd, 2018.

As if the phenomenal tattoo wasn’t enough, she also offered to drive my friend and I back to the MCLA campus. As of now, I also have a free touch-up session scheduled with her.  

I went to Rosasco for my first tattoo experience, but received so much more than that. At every opportunity to go the extra mile, she took it. She was hospitable, supportive, and genuine. She has proven to care not just about tattoos, but also about people.

Photo of AR Designs hosting a performance.

In conclusion, I believe anyone looking for a masterful tattoo combined with a personalized, authentic tattoo experience should look no further than AR Designs Fine Art and Tattoo. Especially for residents of the Berkshires looking to support local artists and businesses, you must check out her work. To me, her business encompasses what most people love about art in the Berkshires: spirit, passion and independence.

Tessa is an English Literature and Elementary Education major currently in her junior year. She is a staff writer and senior editor for Her Campus MCLA.
A sarcastic redhead who is usually late.