Organization tips for busy college students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MCLA chapter.

For any busy college student, it is easy to become disorganized: assignments can be forgotten, chores can pile up, and important dates can get mixed up. There is a lot to keep track of in both our academic and personal lives. However, keeping them organized might be easier than you think.

Through my years as a student, I have practiced countless methods of organization—color-coded notes, lengthy to-do lists, packed calendars—and discovered which are most effective for me. In this article, I want to share my five best tips with you. Organization can look different for everyone, but I believe some of the advice I share here is universal.

If you are looking to be more successful as a student, organization is the place to start. Consider implementing some of these methods in your academic routine:

#1. Use a planner.

I have used a planner every day since sixth grade, and I can not imagine living without it. Every student needs a planner of some sort, whether it be a fancy planner from Michael’s, a cheap pocket-sized calendar, or an app on your phone. They all serve the same purpose, which is to help you keep track of crucial dates, deadlines and day-to-day tasks.

Using a planner will help you stay on top of assignments and other priorities. Use it to remember:

• Meetings
  • (adviser meetings, professors’ office hours, club meetings)
  • Assignments
  • (due dates and when you plan to complete them)
  • Important dates
  • (“Finals week,” “FAFSA deadline”)
  • Reminders
  • (“Psychology class cancelled,” “Dinner with friends”)
  • Chores
  • (“Laundry day,” “Vacuum the room”)

Believe it or not, your planner does not have to look organized for it to help you be organized. I messily scribble anything and everything in my planner, and because that sort of brain-dump method works for me, it keeps me on track.

However you choose to fill your planner, be sure to only keep one and commit to it.

#2. Make to-do lists.

To-do lists work in junction with planners. I frequently write to-do lists in my planner, on scraps of paper or on sticky notes. When I get overwhelmed thinking about everything I have yet to do, compiling it in a physical list gives me a better idea of the workload.

You can make to-do lists for your week, your day or a study session. If you’re heading to the library to get homework done, jot down a quick to-do list of what needs to happen in those two or three hours.

To-do lists are most effective when they are:

• Realistic
  • (Do not write more tasks than you can handle.)
  • Specific (Instead
  • of writing “Do English homework,” write “Read chapter 3 for Intro to Lit.”)
  • Time-bound (Next
  • to each task, write the amount of time it will take.)
  • Organized (Order
  • the points by importance, time to complete, or how motivated you feel to do them.)

A simple and unique way to make a to-do list is through sticky notes. Write each of your tasks on a note, stick them to your desk or notebook, and then peel them off whenever you complete them. This is a quick, satisfying way to keep track of your progress.

#3. Before you sleep, review today and plan for tomorrow.

Today’s night routine can set you up for tomorrow’s success. Before you get in bed, reflect on what you completed today. Do you still have unfinished business on your to-do list? If so, transfer it onto a new list for tomorrow. Write down all of tomorrow’s tasks so they won’t clutter your head as you fall asleep.

Next, plan for tomorrow. Pick out your clothes for the next day, get your backpack ready and review your calendar. If you have a meeting or appointment the next day, set a reminder on your phone or a sticky note.

If you are anticipating an especially busy day tomorrow, consider making an hourly gameplan: write down what you should be doing at every hour from morning to night. (Google “daily schedule template” for some worksheets you can print out to complete this.) This planning method can be tedious, but you may find it helpful to skillfully squeeze all of your priorities into one day.

#4. Keep a consistent notebook, folder and binder system.

Aside from a planner, I always have a binder in my backpack. In lieu of keeping an individual notebook and folder for every class, I stow it all away in one binder. I have it split up into sections for each class, where each section has a folder for papers and looseleaf paper for notes. This is the method that works best for me. I like how the binder enables me to keep everything in one central place.

On the other hand, I have friends who keep five notebooks and five binders in their backpack at all times. A different system will work differently for every student.

Whatever your system is, keep it consistent and organized. Keep important papers for each class readily available (i.e. syllabi, recent assignments) and archive old, unwanted papers. Keep all of your notes in one place to make studying easier.

#5. Complete tasks earlier, not later.

An integral part of staying organized is not letting assignments pile up. Break the mindset that if something is due Friday, it must be done on Thursday night. It can be difficult to find the motivation for this, but when you can, try to complete tasks one to two days earlier than the deadline. If it is a bigger assignment (essay, research paper) start it at least one to two weeks earlier. This will free up your schedule and clear your head.

To find the motivation to start assignments, I often use a 10-minute rule: start by doing ten minutes of work on it. If after ten minutes you feel motivated, ride that feeling and keep working. If not, take a break and come back to it later. At the very least, starting an assignment can give you a better idea of how long it will take once you commit to it.

Tessa is an English Literature and Elementary Education major currently in her junior year. She is a staff writer and senior editor for Her Campus MCLA.
Brigid Downey is a senior at the Massachusetts College of Liberal arts. She is an English major with a concentration in creative writing and a minor in business. On campus, she is the social media director for MCLA's chapter of Her Campus. She's also the events liaison MCLA's chapter of Sigma Tau Delta, a national English honor's society. She is also an inducted member of the National Society of Leadership and Success and is very involved with her school's Dance Company.  Off campus, she works on her own writing in hopes of one day getting published and runs her own blog, Creative Dreamer. She loves reading, writing, and working on her cosplay. She is always being creative and is a self-proclaimed nerd.