tyler nix Pw5uvsFcGF4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
tyler nix Pw5uvsFcGF4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MCLA chapter.

My best friend is a dog. I know that sounds weird, but hear me out: I’ve had this dog since I was six years old. He was an Easter present from my parents to me and my brother. My family likes to name animals after Star Wars characters, so we decided to name him Chewbacca Wookie Bailey, but we call him Chewie. From the first time I saw this dog, I immediately fell in love.

He was so little and fragile, like myself at that age. We would always play together and have so much fun. Through the years, I got to see him grow from a puppy into a playful and loving dog. Now, Chewie isn’t the kind of dog I would normally like, but it works for him; he is a mutt, meaning he is a mixture of two different breeds. He is a Shih Tzu and Pomeranian mix. We don’t know who was the mother and who was the father, but that didn’t really matter to us, as we loved him regardless.  

Chewie is a special dog to me. He always knows when I’m sad, when I’m mad or when I’m going through the motions. Plus, whenever I come home, he is always there to greet me. There is one especially hard time I went through that I will always remember. My parents went out for the night and my brother had moved out by this point, so I was alone in the house. As I was going through the motions of what goes on in my head, there were a lot of bad thoughts happening. Luckily though, Chewie was there to help me. I was crying and not doing so well, and when I looked up, I just saw that cute face of his and it actually started to make me feel better.

Anyone who ever meets this dog immediately loves him. That’s how much of an impact he has on people. I love this dog more than I like most people. He has a special place in my heart. I am sad though that he probably only has a few years left, but I will make sure to love him the same as I always have been and to make every day I have with him count.  

Krystal is a Psychology major with a minor in Biology and in Behavior Analysis currently as a junior. She is Co-Campus Correspondent and a staff writer for Her Campus MCLA. She is someone who is a firm believer in mental health awareness, bisexuality awareness and weird but working coping mechanisms as some of her articles have shown. She also has a passion for expressing oneself in very unique ways. Krystal loves art, music, science, dyeing her hair and tattoos.
Meghan is a sophomore who majors in Psychology with a minor in behavior analysis. She is one of the two campus correspondents of the MCLA chapter. Writing has become first nature for her- it's like riding a bike into paradise. She primarily writes about love with the hope to become the female version of Nicholas Sparks someday.