This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MCLA chapter.

I get a lot of people that come up to me and say “How do you always look so put together?” That question makes me die of laughter every time. Why? Because thirty minutes prior I was most likely laying in bed snoozing my alarm for the 10th time that morning, rushing to get to class on time.

So… How do I do it? Over the years I’ve come up with the perfect combination of items that always make it look like I have my life in order.

1.) Sunglasses

Sunglasses are essential, and something everyone should invest in. Not only does it add a splash of style to any outfit, but they can cover up all of your sins, and every mistake you made the night before.

2.)  A Cute Bag

A huge perk of being in college is that we don’t have to lug around seven periods worth of books in a durable, usually ugly backpack anymore! Forget practicality, all you need is a neutral colored tote that will hold your laptop, a textbook, a notebook, and a small pouch for pens and pencils. Note that I said it should be in a “neutral” color—this rule applies to the sunglasses as well. I say this because no matter what outfit you throw on that day, your accessories will always match, which in turn gives off the look that you’ve got it all together!

3.) A Personalized Set of Jewelry

Most days you will see me wearing the same pieces of jewelry. At the moment I’ve been wearing an Alex and Ani bee ring, a little beach tie bracelet from Rhode Island, one of two necklaces I got at a local crystal shop, my cape cod anklet (which never comes off) and of course either silver or gold hoops. This “set” changes every few months, but it gives me an opportunity to let my personality shine through my outfits. It’s also very convenient because I know exactly what to grab for in the morning, and I already know the combination works well and looks good with the clothes I’ve been wearing at the moment.

4.) Quick Makeup Routine

I could sit in front of my makeup mirror for hours every day if I wanted to, but when it comes to getting ready for classes, I need something quick and effective. I love my fake eyelashes but unfortunately they don’t mix well with my sleeping schedule. So when I’m in a time crunch, I tend to cover up my problem areas with my IT Cosmetics BB Cream applied with a Real Techniques sponge, fill in my brows with a pencil applicator, rouge my cheeks with a little NYX cream blush, and highlight, highlight, highlight! It takes me about five minutes and it makes me feel collected and confident.

5.) Water!

I know it’s like beating a dead horse, but water truly does fix everything. If you are getting a sufficient amount of water in your body everyday, your skin is going to glow and you’re going to feel alive. I recommend getting a cute refillable cup (you can store this in your cute bag) that can hold at least 16 ounces. Now you have something to sip on in class, and technically another accessory! This is one of those situations again where people associate taking care of yourself with looking “put together”.

I know if you’re a fellow lazy girl, looking at this list can be overwhelming. But I promise once you get all of the ingredients, you can go back to sleep. It’s foolproof!

Kelsey Rose is one of the two campus correspondents for the MCLA HerCampus chapter. She's a marketing major with a minor in entrepreneurship and likes to think she's the modern day Carrie Bradshaw. Kelsey is an enthusiast for fake eyelashes, music, comedy, and interesting dialogue.
Meghan is a sophomore who majors in Psychology with a minor in behavior analysis. She is one of the two campus correspondents of the MCLA chapter. Writing has become first nature for her- it's like riding a bike into paradise. She primarily writes about love with the hope to become the female version of Nicholas Sparks someday.