Knowing when a relationship isn’t worth it

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MCLA chapter.

It’s hard to know when to walk away from someone you love and even harder to actually do it. You have given so much time, effort, and love into one person and the idea of walking away from them, as if they no longer matter, seems ridiculous. Sometimes, the pain of holding on just is not worth it anymore and they prove to you that they are not worth the fight anymore. This can be in many different ways, and the way they prove this to you can only makes matters worse. However, they might not care that their actions are causing you harm. The thought of letting go is scary. Letting go is hard, but once you have, the weight off your shoulders is tremendous.

Sometimes, you really want to believe someone is better than what they are putting off, but they aren’t. If someone tells you from the start they are only going to hurt you, don’t tell them they are worth it, run. They already know they are not into whatever they are about to get into and their intentions are not good. You will get hurt, and as much as you want to believe they are worth it, they aren’t. Nobody is worth getting hurt over, especially if they don’t care how hurt you become because of their actions.

If someone tells you they care about you, but is never willing to do anything to help you when you are struggling, than they don’t care. If their reason for not being able to support you in a time of need is because they are busy than they only care about themselves. You are not a single thought in their mind, so they are not worth the tears you cry at night and the pain you feel. Though this does not mean you won’t feel the way you do, because you will, but if they are not willing to be there and support you, than they should not expect you to be their for them either.

If they give you a bunch of excuses on why you can’t be together but avoid saying “I don’t want you anymore” than they give you this idea of false hope. The idea of “It’s just the wrong time” gets embedded into your head but you later see, there was someone else. You see their heart and attention had been captivated all along, but not by you. This is when you let go and never look back. This is when you stop fighting, hoping and waiting for someone who is fighting, hoping and waiting for someone else. If they were to ever come back to you, they would only be coming back because it never worked out with the person they had been hoping for all along. You don’t deserve to be someone’s second choice. If they can’t see your true worth and beauty when they were with you, than they do not deserve you. They are not worth it if they chose someone else over you.

Letting go of someone you love with all your heart is hard, but it’s even harder to hold onto something that is no longer there. It is harder to keep wishing for something that is never going to happen. Your heart will just keep breaking and your idea of love will shatter as you try to make sense of everything you are getting put through. Choose yourself. Fight for yourself. Someone will love you the way you love them, but until then, love yourself. 

Meghan is a sophomore who majors in Psychology with a minor in behavior analysis. She is one of the two campus correspondents of the MCLA chapter. Writing has become first nature for her- it's like riding a bike into paradise. She primarily writes about love with the hope to become the female version of Nicholas Sparks someday.
Mitchell Chapman is a young journalist looking to make a name for himself. He's been published in The Berkshire Eagle, Bennington Banner, Brattleboro Reformer and the Huffington Post and was the editor of his school's newspaper, The Beacon, after serving first as A & E Editor and then Managing Editor. He is a big science fiction fan, and is known for his quips on the blockbuster movie industry. He is a proud brother of the Sigma Chi Beta fraternity.