Julie Castagna, One Talented Cutie

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MCLA chapter.

Name: Julie Castagna

Year: Sophmore, Class of 2018

Major: FPA with a concentration in theater

Hometown: Richmond, Mass.

Relationship Status: Single

Activities: Secretary of Yorick, member of Harlequin

Julie Castagna is only a sophomore, but has been making a splash since she first arrived on campus last fall.  You might have seen her in the starring role of Lady MacBeth in Yorick’s production of MacBeth in the spring of 2015, or as Dion in Yorick’s production of The Winter’s Tale in the fall of 2014.  If you haven’t seen her act yet, never fear, because she finds plentiful opportunities! This Cutie is both sweet and talented. With high ambitions, a strong work ethic and a smile to die for, Julie is definitely a catch!

Why was MCLA the right fit for you?

“It was cheap, and it was a reasonable distance from home.  Not too far away and not too close, and I heard the theater program was really good.”

What do you plan to do with the rest of your time on campus?

“I definitely want to be involved with main stage because I do want to see how that process is and obviously because I’m a theater major. But I want to become more involved with Harlequin and eventually make my way up to Yorick president, hopefully, and maybe direct a show. But I really want to expand Yorick across campus and make people understand that it’s not just reciting Shakespeare all the time– it’s a lot more than that.

If you could do anything after school, what would it be?

“Work at Shakespeare & Company. Maybe as an actor, maybe as a director, maybe both. I want to be involved with the fall festival of Shakespeare somehow, so if that’s the case probably direct. I want to be involved with the common classes.”

If you could have one superpower, what would it be?

“Teleportation, or the ability to refill whatever’s empty.”

As an English and Arts Management major at MCLA, Maggie is a prominent figure both on campus and in her community. Throughout her time at MCLA she has been involved with numerous clubs, most noticeably the Shakespeare club Yorick, where she is Vice President and also director of their fall show, Antony and Cleopatra. Off campus Maggie has worked at The Mount as part of the Berkshire Hills Internship Program, and is also the intern for the Northern Berkshire Community Coalition's Teen Writing Workshop. Maggie is also one of the Campus Correspondents for MCLA's chapter of Her Campus!