This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MCLA chapter.

Grandma, old lady, ancient…I’ve heard it all. For some reason most people my age seem to have some sort of aversion to knitting just because it appears to be something only the elderly do. But in my time at college I’ve learned there’s a secret society of people around campus who are interested in the same sort of activity as me: fiber arts.

A lot of times when I encourage people to come to the Fiber Arts Club they get really confused. They have no idea what it means. The club isn’t just about knitting. We get people who crochet, cross stitch, embroider, sew, latch hook, make friendship bracelets and much more. All of these are considered to be ‘fiber arts.’ I couldn’t believe it when I found out such a club exists. Back home no one else that I went to school with was interested in these kinds of things. I seemed to be the only one who knitted, and I tried not to broadcast it because everyone else thought it was stupid.

But there’s something rewarding in being a part of a club like Fiber Arts. Not only did I meet people who were interested in the same activities as me, but they are willing to help and guide each other if someone has a problem making something. For example, last week I found a knitting pattern I really wanted to try. But I was confused by one of the instructions in the pattern and the Internet was no help at all. So, come Friday, I was able to ask one of my fellow club members and they sorted me right out. Everyone is so kind and willing to help within the club, and they make me feel like I finally have a place where I belong.

For me, knitting is a stress reliever. It helps me relax and it makes me focused. I’ve been knitting since the fifth grade and it amazes me to look back and see how my stitches and projects have developed over time. I was fortunate enough to have an amazing teacher (my grandma), and now I have several beautiful pieces of work that I’ve created over time.

I’m proud to have the skill of knitting because it’s a unique one that not everyone has the patience for. But I truly believe anyone can knit, sew, crochet or do any other form of fiber arts if they really want to. I encourage people to come around to Fiber Arts Club on Fridays from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. in Bowman. If you want to learn how to make something, the people in the club are happy to sit down and help you. Plus you will be joining a wonderful community of amazing people.

Shana is an English Literature and Secondary Education major. She loves to write and has been writing since early middle school. She hopes to have her first book published within the next few years. She also enjoys knitting, singing, and cooking.
Meghan is a sophomore who majors in Psychology with a minor in behavior analysis. She is one of the two campus correspondents of the MCLA chapter. Writing has become first nature for her- it's like riding a bike into paradise. She primarily writes about love with the hope to become the female version of Nicholas Sparks someday.