On books with Book Club President Jacyln Ordway

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MCLA chapter.

As the semester winds down, Her Campus: MCLA spoke with Book Club President Jaclyn Ordway. In addition to being president of the club, she is also president of the Commonwealth Honors Program Student Council, Co-President of the Honors Student Representative Council, a Writing Associate and an academic tutor. We asked her about her reading preferences and if she had any recommendations for MCLA students. 

1.What is your favorite genre to read and why?

My favorite genre to read is fantasy because it is so different from everyday life, yet there are parts of fantasy novels that everyone can still relate to, despite the settings being so different.

2.What book(s) are you currently reading?

I just started the first Game of Thrones novel by George R. R. Martin.

3.What ten books would you recommend to our readers?

In no particular order: The Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling, The Martian by Andy Weir, I am the Messenger by Markus Zusak, The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien, The Abhorsen Trilogy by Garth Nix, The Robert Langdon series by Dan Brown, The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman, The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch, The Devil in the White City by Erik Lawson, and the Chronicles of Narnia (I tried to include great books I’ve read from across different genres because your audience will probably be pretty diverse).

4. What one book (if any) do you think college kids absolutely have to read and why?

I’m not sure that there is one book that should be mandatory for every college student to read, but 1984 by George Orwell seems to only become more relevant as time goes on.

5.What is your favorite place to read on campus?

My favorite place to read on campus is the Writing Studio’s couch.

6.Where is your favorite place to get your books from?

I usually get books off of Amazon, but my favorite place to get books is the Book Barn in Connecticut.

7. What is your favorite book of all time?

My favorite book of all time changes with my mood, but if I had to pick one right now it would be Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

Book Club meets Monday nights from 8-9 in Bowman 206.

Mitchell Chapman is a young journalist looking to make a name for himself. He's been published in The Berkshire Eagle, Bennington Banner, Brattleboro Reformer and the Huffington Post and was the editor of his school's newspaper, The Beacon, after serving first as A & E Editor and then Managing Editor. He is a big science fiction fan, and is known for his quips on the blockbuster movie industry. He is a proud brother of the Sigma Chi Beta fraternity.