The benefits of having step parents

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MCLA chapter.

Parents get divorced and it sucks big time. But there can be benefits to it and I’m not just talking about two Christmases. Although no one is complaining about double the amount of presents, one of the other benefits to parents not being together are step parents. They aren’t all evil like Cinderella’s stepmother; some of them can be awesome and can help to make us more diverse and open people.

We are all the products of our parent’s genes, which means physically we resemble our parents and that we are predisposed to mimicking our parents’ behaviors and attitudes. This isn’t always an issue, especially when our parents are awesome, but it means any bad traits our parents may have are more likely to be passed to us. Step parents don’t share your genes, so they may be able to help guide you towards better habits in a way that isn’t possible for your parents.

We all know parents have strengths and weaknesses, but a variety of parental figures can help keep those qualities diverse, so children have many skills they can pick and choose from. Take my family, for example. My biological parents can cook enough to feed us, but my step mother is from the south and is an amazing cook. With her in my life I can learn how to cook in a way that wouldn’t had been possible before. Step parents have lived lives of their own and have even potentially raised kids of their own. Being able to use them as role models and ask them for advice is very beneficial in becoming a well-rounded person.

But on top of helping shape you, step parents are helpful to our parents as well. Depending on your situation, one parent may be your primary caregiver after a divorce, and single parenting can be very difficult. Having someone to help makes raising kids a lot easier, and that’s besides the happiness they bring to your parent. What kid doesn’t want to see their parents happy?

My parents have been separated since I was four. They have both been married since to two amazing people that I get to call my step parents. I know that without them in my life I would not be the person I am today. I am so thankful for them both and everything they do for me and our family. Thank you for taking a chance and joining my crazy family. 

I am commonly found reading in a hammock with at least three blankets, I'm a scorpio, I help run a Shakespeare club and I hope to fill my future with some awesome adventures.
Mitchell Chapman is a young journalist looking to make a name for himself. He's been published in The Berkshire Eagle, Bennington Banner, Brattleboro Reformer and the Huffington Post and was the editor of his school's newspaper, The Beacon, after serving first as A & E Editor and then Managing Editor. He is a big science fiction fan, and is known for his quips on the blockbuster movie industry. He is a proud brother of the Sigma Chi Beta fraternity.