15 Holiday Movies to Bring You Comfort and Joy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MCLA chapter.

It’s easy to settle into the holidays and bond with family and friends with a holiday movie marathon, and these 15 titles are sure to deck the halls with cheer!

1.      Elf (2003)

(Photo from: athenacinema.com)

Buddy, the human who was raised as a Christmas elf at the North Pole, comes to New York City to reconnect with his father and his family. This movie is a holiday must and it’s a holiday tradition to scream “SANTAAAA! I KNOW HIM!” whenever you see Santa at the mall.

2.      A Christmas Story (1983)

(Photo from: screenprism.com)

All Ralphie wants for the holidays is a Red Ryder B.B. gun, and the movie follows short stories about his family and his desperation for the gift. What are the holidays without “The Battle of the Lamp” and everyone shouting “you’ll shoot your eye out!” every time the movie is mentioned?

3.      The Polar Express (2004)

(Photo from: popupfilmclub.uk)

The children’s book and the movie follow a group of kids who get on a magical train called The Polar Express that brings them on an adventure to The North Pole. The conductor’s call of “all aboard!” still fills the air with magic.

4.      How the Grinch Stole Christmas (2000)

(Photo from: Wikipedia.com)

The green, grouchy Grinch at the top of Mount Crumpit is pushed to the brink by the people of Whoville below, and seeks revenge by stealing their Christmas. Will Jim Carrey’s Grinch learn the true meaning of the holiday season?

5.      A Christmas Carol (1984) and The Muppet Christmas Carol (1992)

(Photo from:  Amazon.com and Wikipedia.org)

Two of the best adaptations of Charles Dickens’ famous story A Christmas Carol bring warmth and meaning into your holidays. Both George C. Scott and Michael Caine chill to the bone and then inspire as Ebenezer Scrooge, a banker and a miser taken from his bedroom on Christmas Eve by three ghosts who show him the error of his ways.

6.      The Santa Clause (1994)

(Photo from: guardianlv.com)

Tim Allen plays a dad who just wants to have a good time with his Son on Christmas Eve but accidentally kills Santa Claus when he falls off of his roof. Because of a clause in the Santa contract, he must return to the North Pole the following year to take the job himself.

7.      Scrooged (1988)

(Photo from: stampartpapel.com )

In another of the best adaptations of A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens, but an entirely different and more cynical tale, Bill Murray plays TV executive Frank Cross whose bullying and treatment of those around him mean he must be visited by three ghosts on Christmas Eve.

8.      A Charlie Brown Christmas (1965)

(Photo from: Wikipedia.org)

Charlie Brown tries to find the true meaning of Christmas in the midst of his school’s holiday show. Can Linus show him the way? Will Snoopy win the holiday lights contest? Will Lucy get to hear the sound of cold hard cash?

9.      Home Alone (1990)

(Photo from: loftcinema.com)

Macaulay Culkin plays mischievous and resourceful 8-year old Kevin McCallister who is accidentally left at home for the holidays when his family is in a hurry to go on vacation. Until they return, Kevin has to take care of himself and defend his home from burglars.

10.  The Year Without a Santa Claus (1974)

(Photo from: IMDB.com)

Watch what happens when Santa decides to skip delivering presents on Christmas Eve because he doesn’t think people believe in Christmas anymore. What is your holiday movie marathon without Heat Miser and Snow Miser?

11.  Die Hard (1988)

(Photo from: schmoesknow.com)

I know what you’re thinking, why would this movie be suggested? OF COURSE Die Hard will already be in your movie lineup this holiday. Bruce Willis is a police officer in New York who tries to save his wife and the other hostages at a Christmas party taken over by German terrorists.

12.  Love Actually (2003)

(Photo from:theguardian.com)

This movie follows eight different couples whose lives and love lives intermingle at Christmas time. It has family, romance, humor, and the best part, Bill Nighy in tight pants singing Christmas songs.

13.  Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer (1964)

(Photo from: weeatfilms.com)

Rudolph was not accepted by his fellow reindeer at the North Pole when he was born with a funny red nose, so he and his friends Hermey the elf and prospector Yukon Cornelius set out to find a place where misfits like them can fit in.  

14.  White Christmas (1954)

(Photo from: hookedonhouses.net)

Let the voices of Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye, Rosemary Clooney and Vera Allen guide you into a winter wonderland. Two army men join up with a sister act and put on a Christmas show to save their former-general’s Vermont Inn that’s facing financial difficulties. 

15.  Frosty the Snowman (1969)

(Photo from: tomnardone.net)

A snowman named Frosty comes to life with the power of a magician’s magic hat and the help of local school children. Frosty and his new friends have to escape the greedy magician so he doesn’t steal the hat back for personal gain! 

Allie is a junior at MCLA where she works as a resident advisor and is majoring in creative writing with a minor in women’s studies. Writing is her greatest passion next to drawing, movies, and dogs.