Women’s History, Living Up to Others’ Standards, and Post-Valentine’s Stories: Reads for March 12, 2020

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

Hi there! I’m back with another reading list for the week. This time, I have a few suggestions from other Her Campus McGill Editors (they have an * next to them). March 8 was International Women’s Day and the month of March is also Women’s History Month. According to the New York Times, researchers have estimated that 0.5% of recorded history is devoted to women’s stories. We need to change that. Women are, and have been, contributing to the progression of our society (and no, it’s not just as a supportive role). So this week, here are some stories about women, stories written by women, and a few other insightful pieces that I and my fellow editors picked up. Happy reading!

Talking to Titans [UCL]

Yes, I still follow news from my exchange school, and I was pleasantly surprised to learn that to celebrate Women’s History Month this March, University College London (UCL) released a podcast series featuring women in senior leadership positions at UCL. The episode I listened to features Prof. Mole, who is the Provost’s Envoy for Gender Equality at UCL. One particular point that she made that stuck with me, is that we have to change how we define success—if we keep assessing women to success by (white) male terms, then inevitably their accomplishments will be overlooked. “We need to value all types of leadership,” Prof. Moles says. 

The Other Latif [Radio Lab]

This podcast series was a jewel amongst journalistic ventures. It’s the story of one man who is being detained at Guantanamo Bay, what he may or may not have done to end up there, and what America has done for him.  

*Reading Colonialism in “Parasite” by Ju-Hyun Park [Tropics of Meta]

This well-written essay offers commentary on the subtleties of capitalism, neocolonialism, occupation, and war within a historical context as represented in the film. Wondering what neocolonialism looks like? This author breaks it down, using the film “Parasite” as an example. Note: Spoilers ahead.

“Sincerely”: On Why I Started Writing Poetic Emails and The Affective Vastness of Form by Zeynep Kartal [Her Campus McGill]

Our Editor-in-Chief reflects on what the professional email takes away from communication, other forms of communication, and how to preserve self against professional demands. 

Why I Haven’t Written Anything in 3 Months by Emmanuelle Hebert [Her Campus McGill]

One of our contributing writers explains how stifling the pressure to excel at McGill can be. Sometimes, it’s hard to stop and realize who you are and what you have accomplished independent of the expectations from those around you.

Single in China by Shosh Shlam and Hilla Medalia [The New York Times]

This 9-minute Op-Doc follows the story of a female lawyer in her 30s in China who is navigating a society that actively pushes its citizens to settle establish families: a story of clashing values between self and state, between self and family.  

*The Lost Performance of the High Priestess of the Temple of Horror by Carmen Maria Machado [Granta]

Carmen Maria Machado, author of the best-selling collection of feminist gothic short stories “Her Body and Other Parties,” and In the Dream House, a novel that deals with abuse in queer relationships, released this short story for Valentine’s Day. It is part sapphic gothic, part S&M erotica—and 100% deliciously sexy, titillating read.

Dimi Boutselis-Bag Flowers Sunflower Fashion Style
Dimi Boutselis / Her Campus

Michelle is a graduate student at McGill University studying the intersection between diet and cancer. In her free time, she enjoys reading, sampling poutine restaurants, and taking pictures of flowers.