What Fall Shows Are You Watching?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

McGill students love television, or so I think as my friends and I have another three-hour conversation about the work of Dan Harmon and debate over the comedic ties between Arrested Development and Community. Everyone I know has at least one favourite show currently on television. People who watch TV live vicariously through their beloved characters, sometimes so much so that they can momentarily forget that Ben and Leslie are actually Adam Scott and Amy Poehler and will in fact not be inviting them to their wedding — well, except if there is a wedding episode. Fall is a time of expectation, possibility, and even frustration for television lovers as TV is a fickle mistress. People wait for their shows to come back, sometimes uncertainly (Community fans I pray for you), hope that new seasons will live up to expectations built up over previous seasons, and spend their weeks patiently anticipating new episodes, yearning for surprising or satisfying continuations of the stories and characters they’ve become invested in. We truly live in the golden age of television and if you’re looking for a new show to watch or are interested in a rundown of the best shows this fall, look no further.

30 Rock- This show is in its final season, which is sad because it has been one of the best half-hours of network comedy for seven years. Tina Fey and co. are truly hilarious and one of the worst episodes of 30 Rock is still consistently funnier and more engaging than anything you can find on sitcoms like the Big Bang Theory or Two and a Half Men. If you haven’t been watching the show, it is rather easy to get into it because every episode is more or less self-contained. All you need to know is that Tina Fey plays Liz Lemon (my spirit animal), the head-writer of an SNL type sketch show on NBC called TGS, Alec Baldwin plays Jack Donaghy, her network executive boss and mentor, and their relationship is the comedic heart of the show. The other important characters are Jenna Maroney (Jane Krakowski) and Tracy Jordan (Tracy Morgan), the crazy egomaniacal stars of TGS who regularly turn Liz Lemon’s life topsy-turvy. Of course one can’t leave out the possibly immortal NBC page Kenneth (referred to simply as Kenneth the page), the show’s endearing fool, and thanks to the magic of Jack McBrayer, a constant source of laughs not unlike Betty White’s St. Olaf native on The Golden Girls (which by the way is pretty much the greatest show ever created). 30 Rock is always light, fun, clever and often hysterically funny, and most importantly, it provides life lessons and treasured quotes like “never go with a hippie to a second location.” Well noted Jack Donaghy, well noted.

And for your viewing pleasure: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBJiugdPAZ8&feature=related

Community- Is actually the greatest thing to ever exist. Ok I’m exaggerating… except not really. Yes, I am one of those sad, nerdy, ever harangued Community fans who likes to tell everyone to watch their show like its a get out the vote campaign. But we do this only because the show is genius, perfect in every way, and if you don’t watch it we feel like you’re purposefully avoiding looking at the TV equivalent of Michelangelo’s David. Not enough hyperbole for you? Well I have more! Community is better than every sitcom on television right now, except for 30 Rock. There is nothing better. Anyway, the fourth season is supposedly returning on February 7th, after it was moved from October 19th because NBC hates Community fans with their black felt goatees and “six seasons and a movie” chants, and because we probably live in the darkest timeline (you’ll get it if you watch the show). The show runner Dan Harmon was recently ousted and Community was his brainchild, so I’m not sure how the fourth season will pan out. I dare to hope the show will continue to blow my comedy nerd mind. For new viewers, its probably best to watch the first three seasons if you really want to know and get the best of Community. The Halloween episodes, particularly “Epidemiology,” are a good place to start. Now go forth and watch Community, don’t be the opposite of Batman.

For your viewing pleasure: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LV7M_WeGX8

It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia- Another comedy, and I admit this one may not be for everybody. The main characters are all horrible, despicable people and even though the show is really funny it aims to offend and be outrageous… so the humor is often reliant on terrible things happening to a lot of people. It also uses a lot of gross out gags. The show is in its eighth season on FX and I’m recommending it because, as I said, I’m a comedy nerd and this show is continually innovative and hysterical, not despite but actually because of the central characters’ detestability. You can get a sense of the show through pretty much any episode as they are all self-contained. Its about a gang (often called “the gang”) of people who own a crappy bar in Philadelphia and get themselves and other people into nasty hijinks.

For your viewing pleasure: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzaVd6zl2bA&feature=related

Supernatural- This show is in its eighth season on the CW network and if you haven’t been watching it since season one, you might get lost in the plot of season eight as entirely too much has happened in the eight years it has been on the air. People have died, come back from the dead, Satan has risen, the apocalypse has swallowed the earth, angels have fallen in love with humans… all in all, this show is truly epic. If you want to catch up on the story, episodes are easily available online to watch, and the show sucks you in after a few episodes with its intense plot and interesting characters. It doesn’t hurt that the two leads, the Winchester brothers (played by Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki) are rather fun to look at. Almost all the supporting characters also happen to be played by attractive actors, but after a while, even if you came for the good looking people, you end up staying for the story, which is truly gripping, intense and well acted. Seasons three to five are especially surprising, clever and funny. In seasons six and seven, the show fell into a bit of a slump, but so far season eight has been going rather well, and the show seems to be back in form. The show packs in the scares and monster mythology so if you’re into slasher flicks, gothic horror, and things that go bump in the night this show is definitely for you.

For your viewing pleasure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsyMtYoSkC0

American Horror Story- I am actually a newcomer to this show and have not yet seen season one (called Murder House), which many people seem to love for its bat shit craziness. But people say this craziness can’t even compare to all the shenanigans transpiring in season two of American Horror Story inside the Asylum. I doubted initially that I could enjoy the show because I am not a great fan of horror, but the cast really sells the story, and Jessica Lange in particular (and her outrageous Kennedy accent) is a sight to behold. And remember the farmer from Babe? Well he’s in this too, playing a man who seems to be pure evil, so prepare to have your childhood turned on its head. Despite the completely nauseating and horrifying nature of the show, I now find that I can’t get enough of it. Maybe I just have a need for craziness in my entertainment. It’s exciting to watch things go completely off the rails, and since True Blood is not currently around to fill that void in my soul American Horror Story is a satisfying alternative. Watch if you dare.

For your viewing pleasure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUkvuE67sL0

Notable mentions/non-fall shows: These did not make the list either because I’m not a regular viewer or because they do not premiere in the fall. But you can find them all on the internet one way or another. My friends tell me the following shows are AHMAZING so give them a shot: Parks and Recreation, Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, and Homeland. The following are non-fall shows that I love with all my heart-soul: Mad Men (to me the drama-equivalent of Community in that it is as perfect and beautiful as television can be), Louie (some say the best all-around show in all of TV land), and Girls (despite the furor the first season was pretty great if you actually watched it). Extra special mention goes to Misfits because its a British speculative science fiction show on Channel 4 that’s not easily accessible in Canada, but I had to include it because it’s very original and entertaining (especially seasons one and two) and unlike anything you’ll find on American TV.