Tiffany Lai: Social Media Guru and Source of Endless Outfit Envy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

Meet Tiffany Lai! This über-fashionable Montreal native is a second year Nursing student who’s in the process of switching into Computer Science. Tiff is the Web Designer and a part of the Communications team for SynesthASIA, an organization that contributes to poverty relief and sustainable development in Asia. As if this jet-setting brainiac isn’t busy enough, she’s the latest contributor for The Montreal Fashion Blog, runs Garlic Milk (a must-check-out YouTube channel along with her sister, Lily), contributes to some awesome Montreal Instagrams, and runs her own, perfectly-curated, coffee, travel, and fashion-centric Instagram account. Her Campus McGill had the pleasure of catching up with Tiff (virtually, of course) while she was in London. 

Tiff on the steps of the New York Public Library.

Emily Campbell for Her Campus (HC): How did get you involved in social media on such a big scale?

Tiffany Lai (TL): I’ve always been intrigued by social media. I used Instagram as my platform for the longest time, and then transferred onto Youtube with my sister. 

HC: What is Garlic Milk?

TL: It’s a YouTube channel that my sister and I started in September. We’ve been talking about starting one for around 3 years, but finally made the account last year. 

HC: Where did you get the idea for it?

TL: I always had the idea of making a Montreal-based food/fashion account, but was kind of shy to start a channel. Fortunately, with lots of support from my friends and family I finally got the courage to do it. 

HC: What are you going to be doing for The Montreal Fashion Blog?

TL: I’m their new contributor. I met Fati [the blogger-in-chief] at Dulcedo [the Montreal-based modelling agency] while interning for Dulcedo’s sister company Imagemotion, a digital content agency. Fati runs The Montreal Fashion Blog and asked me to be a contributor after the first day she met me. I started working for Imagemotion at the beginning of February, but I have a very long history with the modelling agency. 

HC: What’s one piece of clothing that you think every woman should own?

TL: A classic pair of jeans that fits perfectly. 

HC: If you could wear only one outfit for the rest of your life, what would it be?

TL: Christian Louboutin Decollette 554 100m pumps in black with boyfriend jeans, a basic white tee, and a statement coat. 

HC: What are the most photogenic places (murals, restaurants) in Montreal?

TL: Any place that has a lot of natural lighting is key, but Cafe Myriade underneath Club Monaco is beautiful. Melk Bar à Café on Stanley, Tri Express on Laurier, Jean Talon Market during the summer time, Ma’Tine in the Village, and Café Vasco de Gama on Peel are a few of my favourites. 

HC: What’s your favourite café?

TL: My favourite cafe has to be either Café St-Henri in the Jean Talon Market or the Café Larue et Fils near de Castleneau metro. 

HC: What accounts do you follow for aesthetic/Insta inspiration?

TL: I follow @coffeenclothes, @moldavia, @cb, @chaiwalla, @mtlcafecrawl.

HC: What are some tips for a successful Instagram?

TL: Stick to a theme, but more importantly have fun and don’t take it too too seriously.

HC: What’s one thing you hate seeing on social media?

TL: I absolutely hate people taking Instagram fame too seriously. Instagram is just a creative outlet for me. There’s a lot of noise on it and you have to tune it out.

Be sure to check out the Montreal Fashion Blog for Tiff’s contributions, and learn more about SynesthASIA’s upcoming fashion show and silent auction on March 18th!

Images provided by interviewee.