Study Break: Montreal Cat Cafes!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

Cats and coffee, what else do you possibly need in life?

Montreal is home to three different cat cafés, each one just as amazing as the next. They’re the perfect haven for those who miss their pets at home and can’t have a cat of their own here in Montreal for whatever reason. My excuse is that both my roommates are deadly allergic. I know, I need to find better roommates… But whatever the case, with midterms coming up, these cafes are the perfect place to settle down with your laptop and “study” (Imagine how much better libraries would be if there were cats roaming around nudging you for pats).

Cat Café L’Heureux (or Happy Cat Café) is the closest of the three to McGill. It’s located on 172 Avenue Duluth E, in the heart of the Plateau and hosts eight cats, all of whom are from shelters. This place is super homey, as you’ll be asked to take off your shoes upon arrival. There are also soap dispensers and towels all over the place to ensure the sanitation for the cats. It also has an amazing menu that includes pastries and gourmet sandwiches, with both vegan and gluten free options, and of course, spectacular coffee. After you’ve enjoyed the delicious food, there’s an area where you can lie down to play with the cats. Remember to look above you too, there are often cats hiding on the shelves way up at the ceiling. Cat Café L’Heureux closes early at 8pm Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Sundays; but is open until 10:00pm Fridays and Saturdays.

Les Café du Chats is just a little futher from the school, but not too far, on 3435 Rue Saint-Denis. It prides itself on being North America’s first cat café. Home to eight cats, adopted from Montreal’s SPCA, the exposed brick walls make this place super “Instagrammable.”  Their menu includes cereal bowls, pasteries, soups, and salads; it also includes vegan options and they’ll draw a super cute cat face into your latte foam, should you order one. Their coffee is incredible and it’s one of my favorite places to study. (Like I said, libraries would be better with cats, this is basically the next best thing.) Their hours are very similar to Cat Café L’Heureux, so the afternoon would be the best time to visit. Oh, and did I mention one of their cats has thumbs?… How incredibly adorable!

Last, but certainly not least: Café Venosa. Although a bit further from the downtown area, on 4433 Rue Saint Denis, this is an all-vegan cat café that takes in shelter cats and allows them to be adopted out. So if you feel you can’t leave a certain sweetheart behind, you don’t have to! Besides the yummy food, the fair trade coffee and the adorable cats running around, this place also considers itself an art exhibition space. With super chill vibes, this place is a must go for those who want to unwind after a long day. Café Venosa is the only one of the three cat cafes open on Mondays and closes at 9:00pm from Mondays to Thursdays and stays open until 10:00pm on Fridays to Sundays.

So the next time you’re looking for something to do, get up and go to one of these amazing cafés, share a latte with some fluffy companions and get yourself some kitty therapy – pets are scientifically proven to reduce stress!

Images obtained from author, and the blogs: suitcaseandheels, gamerwife

Angel Yu

McGill '20

Angel is a fourth year at McGill University, doing a double major in physiology and computer science. Besides being a part of Her Campus, she is also a varsity athlete. She has a love for big city skylines and tiny little animals and can always be found putting her best effort into everything she does, along with a chai latte in hand.