This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

When I first moved into my current residence, my head filled with ideas of how I was going to make this place my own. I had a vision of how I was going to paint and decorate, but like everyone else, time always seems to be slipping through my fingers.

While browsing the homeland of all DIY ideas – Pinterest – I came across a clever project that needed to be put to the test. Although the results give the impression of having been time-consuming, this task proved to be quite the opposite. Now let me show you how I added some ‘Oomph’ to a bathroom with the help of a potato!

The concept behind this DIY is to create a personalised stamp out of a potato to add a pattern on a blank wall. I happened to use this technique for a cabinet in my bathroom but it could also be used to create a statement wall in any room.

Step 1: Find a simple pattern and a potato of matching size.

Step 2: Cut off a layer to create a smooth surface. I made sure to dry the surface with paper towels before working on it. 

Step 3: Place your pattern on the surface and tape it down. Use a toothpick or any other sharp instrument to poke the outline onto your working surface. Your paper will get wet and may rip.

Step 4: Use a sharp knife to sculpt around your design. Keep in mind that you do not need to carve in deep. 

Step 5: Add paint to your new stamp with the help of a paintbrush. Try it out on a piece of paper before stamping your wall. I recommend putting a very minimal amount of paint to avoid a blotchy look. You can also stamp your design more than once before having to add more paint. 

Step 6: Mark your wall with tape to give yourself an idea of where you’ll be stamping.

Step 7: Stamp away!