Spring Cleaning Out Your Life: The Perfect Opportunity for a Fresh Start

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

Last week, the city of Montreal had a wonderful reawakening when the mercury tipped over 0 degrees Celsius. Jackets were unzipped, sunglasses came out and pedestrians started smiling at each other again. In short, it’s pretty obvious the McGill community is ready to ditch their clunky boots for some sleek new Chucks and leave this winter behind! With warmth in our midst, Spring-cleaning is essential to effectively spring forward into the new season. You’re probably thinking about some old sweaters and that pile of first term work stacked in the corner of your room, but I’m thinking bigger – not only dusty textbooks, but also old relationships, old habits and the old you.

Let me guess, you had a New Years resolution. Remember that silly little list you made a mere 3 months ago? Have you kept your promises to yourself? Like most of us, you’ve probably fallen back onto at least a few old habits that you would rather be without. That’s why spring comes after winter! The fresh air, the blossoming flowers and the end of the second term brings the perfect opportunity for a second round at your Resolution.

“Out with the old, in with the new” is the perfect quote, with just the right amount of cheesy, for what I’m trying to get across. Have a hobby you have been meaning to take up? Something you think you’d like to do? A pile of books you’ve been dying to read? The fresh environment, free from snow, will give you the perfect starting point for redefining who you are and what you want to be.

After a couple more weeks, you will have 4 months to do with whatever you please. You can travel, you can work, you can lie around your pool – the time is yours. Make it worth your while! If you have been struggling to end it (and I mean really end things) with the toxic boy you’ve been spending time with, make a point of doing it. Do something for yourself with all the time you have while you’re not in school. Or maybe that’s how you will accomplish your goals – by staying at McGill and focusing on you and your degree. However you think you can most valuably spend the gift of summer, DO IT!

I know it sounds ridiculous, but it’s scientifically proven that the weather affects you psychologically speaking. So why not optimize on this knowledge? The unveiling of a beautifully sunny and green earth is the perfect time to unveil a new and improved you. Wish you could spend more time at the gym? Can you think of a better time to do that? Wish you could spend more time with your parents? They will be thrilled to hear that your visit home for the break is not just to eat all of their (free) food.

As the end of winter gets closer and closer to us, use the anticipation building in your bones as momentum to successfully become the version of yourself that you will be the most proud of. Be selfish – this is the time to figure out what you want and how you want it. That way, when you get back in September, you’re fresh-faced, excited and ready to tackle another year of learning. 

Featured image obtained from MsYencko

Body image obtained from The Brain in Jane

Aspiring writer