Spring Break Destinations: Unleash Your Wanderlust in 2017

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

With Montreal winter getting you down, it can be easy to think of warmer, more carefree places at this time of the year. Luckily, spring break is on its way and from February 25th until March 5th (including weekends), we will all be free from McGill’s clutches. So, what better way to celebrate this short freedom from deadlines and exams than jetting off to somewhere new and exciting, or exploring new places closer to home.

The start of the year is always a perfect time to set goals, to dream and to plan adventures, but instead of just dreaming about foreign lands, put your wanderlust into action and take yourself there, or, somewhere entirely unexpected. 

Whilst it can be easy to get enticed by warm, tropical lands, it is also easy to dream of hiking up a jagged, snow-topped mountain; so how do you choose? Well, you don’t have to. Compiled for you here is a comprehensive list of the coolest places to hit up in 2017, plus the best air fares (we all feel that student life…). In regards to accommodation, Airbnb is one of the best options, with a whole range of affordable prices, and it is also a chance to stay in districts that you may not have encountered on the tourist trail if you were to stay in a hotel. Just be sure to always read the reviews, and preferably look for a place with 10+ reviews to ensure it’s legit. For all accomodation, including Airbnb’s and hotels, the list ranges in price, so you can be sure to find a place to stay that suits your needs and your budget. Read on for the best places to let your wanderlust free…

Reykjavik, Iceland: Yes, you want to escape the icy land of Montreal, and Iceland isn’t really the place to do that. But, bear with me, Iceland is full of jagged, dramatic scenery, blue lagoons, and has a friendly atmosphere. Cozy up by the fireplace as you watch the snow drift past the window, coupled up with some seriously good seafood. Iceland arguably has the best air fares for a foreign trip, and is actually cheaper than most flights within Canada. WOW air offers flights directly from Montreal to Reykjavik for only $300. Also, who would want to pass up the oppportunity to see the Northern Lights? ​

• ​​​​Flights: WOW air  
  • Where to Stay: 
  • $: This charming Air BnB
  • $$: Alda Hotel
  • $$$: Buubble – here, you sleep in a bubble. Yes, really. Every night you’ll sleep under the stars, with the possibility of seeing the auroras above you as you drift off. 
  • Must See’s: Blue Lagoon: The Blue Lagoon is a natural geothermal spa and is cited as one of the 25 wonders of the world. The natural beauty of the lagoon is outstanding, and will aid in your relaxation pre- and post midterms. 
  • The Golden Circle: The best way to see the vast Golden Circle is to drive, as the whole area is around 190 miles. Driving a car is relatively easy in Iceland, and is the best way to see the 3 key features of the Golden Circle: the geothermal area, Gullfoss waterfall and the national park. 

California: California is a great destination to visit during spring break, particularly for that golden sunshine that is much needed after coping with negative temperatures for months on end. Air Canada and Delta offer relatively cheap flights from Montreal to California, with direct flights to LA around $460, whilst flights to San Francisco average $410. If you’re feeling adventurous, take the Pacific Coast Highway (PCH) for a road trip from one end of the state to the other, taking in the incredible coastal beauty on the way and stopping off in unique towns and cities – my particular favourite is Santa Barbara.  

• Where to Stay:
  • $: This San Francisco Airbnb, with seriously good views.
  • $$: This penthouse Airbnb in downtown LA (+ rooftop access!)
  • $$$: The Canary
  • Must See’s: Venice Beach: This LA beach is full of the most diverse range of characters, from skaters to fitness fanatics, henna tattoo artists and eclectics, so you certainly won’t be bored people watching whilst you soak up the rays. The beach is brimming with activities, so whatever your requirements, you’re sure to find something you’ll enjoy: peruse the array of stalls that line the boardwalk, relax on the beach or put on your rollerskates and take in the sites whilst trying not to fall on your butt. 
  • Yosemite: This national park is infamous for a reason; it’s pure, natural beauty. Definitely worth venturing to. 

Quebec City: Staying closer to home is always easy. You don’t lose precious time travelling, so you get more chances to explore your vacation spot. Train rides to Quebec City start at $33 for a single ticket and can be booked on the day, so getting there last minute won’t be hard to do. Exploring the rustic vibes in neighbouring Quebec City is a great way to get more of a feel for the European essence that is so omnipresent in Quebec. Montreal has its French core, for example down in Old Port, but Quebec City is far more remnant of a bygone era, and a weekend trip can transport you back to the past. Walk the cobbled streets and skate on one of the many ice rinks the city has to offer. Then, cosy up inside one of the charming restaurants and let yourself relax. 

• Where to Stay:  $: This cosy air bnb, with the wooden detailing and worldly decor, you’ll definitely feel at home: 
  • $$: Another lovely Airbnb, you’ll be sure to find lots of great places on the site for Quebec City: 
  • $$$: Le Germain Quebec
  • Must See’s: Old Quebec: Old Quebec is a UNESCO world heritage treasure, and for a good reason. The old part of the city is teeming with an abundance of chateau’s and old stone buildings, with cobbled streets and fairylights immersing you into this fairytale land. The whole section of the city overlooks the St. Lawrence river, which only adds to the appeal of this picturesque district. 
  • Montmorency Falls Park: This waterfall is breathtaking, particularly in winter when it’s coated with a thick layer of snow. I personally hadn’t heard of the waterfall before, but it’s higher than Niagara Falls, standing at 83m tall. Whilst the waterfall alone is worth a visit, you can also take a zip line from one side to the other, or cross by taking a gondola; all of which will add a little excitement to the natural wonder. 

Montreal: Staying home has a ton of perks: you save money, you don’t have to travel anywhere, and there’s no jet lag to contend with. Treating spring break in Montreal as a vacation can enable you to see the city in a new light, and can give you the chance to explore places you haven’t previously. So, drag yourself way from the McGill bubble and go check out some of these places.

• Must See’s: The Planetarium: Located next to the Botanical Garden, the Planetarium is arguably the best attribute of Montreal’s space for life, with breathtaking, fully immersive shows that transport you into another world. You can take a virtual ride through space, or experience the marvel of the northern lights. Who needs a flight after all… 
  • Au Sommet Place Ville Marie: This observatory offers unparralled views of the city. At 185m high, you can take in the whole city from a 360 degree perspective. Plus, for all the foodies out there, there’s a delicious restaraunt at the top. Food + stunning views, what more could you need…

So, whatever you do this spring break, be it here in Montreal, or in a faraway destination, make sure you put yourself first. Take some much needed me-time and make sure to relax. Exams and deadline stresses are daunting but try and remove yourself from the pressure for a week. In doing this you can open your eyes to the vast world around you, and all there is to see. Perhaps then McGill won’t feel so big and looming after all. 

Images obtained from:

http://www.avenlylanetravel.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/bigstock-blue-lagoon-near-Reykjavik-Ic-83067725.jpg

https://thetravelographerandmedotcom.files.wordpress.com/2016/04/lr-edit…

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/9g5z3X8ZIVs/maxresdefault.jpg

https://interstude.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Montmorency-Falls-Canada-Paul-Falardeau1.jpg

http://www.tourisme-montreal.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Planeta…