Life > Experiences

Slow Girl Spring and the 5 Best Songs For The Occasion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

I’m so tired. Everything is going so fast. Everyone is going so fast. After hot girl summer and sad girl fall (and winter), I propose we introduce slow girl spring and the 5 perfect songs to get into it. 

With finals season fast approaching, I think it is time we show ourselves some grace. It’s not all about that #hustle anymore. Stop romanticizing the fast life.

M.I.A. may have said “Live fast die young” but that’s so 2012. 2022 is about that slow life.

1. “Vienna” by Billy Joel

Billy really said “slow down, you’re doing fine. You can’t be everything you want to be before your time” and we FELT. IT. If we’re always focusing on what’s coming, how do we appreciate now?

2. “String Lights” by Peter McPoland

Peter McPoland’s music is medicine for the soul (and you just can’t argue with me). This song is soothing— and reminds you that “everything ends”, so might as well make the most of it.

3. “Pick and Choose” by Daniel Nunnelee

Slow girl Spring is all about feeling something (anything really), and allowing ourselves to feel. In this song, Daniel Nunnelee tells you (in his angelic voice) to “Just close your eyes/Sit back and breathe. . . I’ll give you my time/If you waste it with me.” Let’s waste our time slowly.

4. “Just a Little While” by The 502s

Although this song is higher tempo, it screams SLOW DOWN and “wait just a little while”. Why rush it, when you can take a few moments and breathe.

5. “Walk Slow” by Grace Lee

The title says it all— slow girls walk slow.  “The sun is low/Take time to/ Watch the sky”; chin up and let that hair down. 

Let’s live slowly. Let us take the time to feel the breeze, lie down in the rain, read and feel. Tread softly. Take it easy. No exam, assignment, or event is worth missing out on the now. Slow Girl Spring has sprung, and I am ready. Are you?

Kelly Eden

McGill '25

Kelly is a McGill undergraduate student in the Faculty of Education, majoring in Secondary English Education. She is a passionate Feminist, supporter of Human Rights, and learner. You can find her out with her friends, reading, or drinking coffee at any hour of the day.