Skincare 101: Moisturizers and Serums

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

For a skincare and makeup junkie, one of the most difficult things to pin down is which moisturizer and serum to use. There are oily ones, oil-free ones, gesl, creams, lotions… The list goes on. Most of the time, when you think that you’ve found “the one,” the season changes and suddenly the prince turns into a frog; so the hunt continues. With winter coming up, skincare regimens will start changing again, so here are my tips to find the perfect one!

Know where to invest your money

This tip is for all the collegiettes out there weaving through Sephora aisles on a limited budget. My rule of thumb is that moisturizers are for locking in moisture and making sure your skin stays supple, while serums are targeted treatments. You always need moisture no matter what your skin type is, especially when living in cold climates (i.e. Montreal). When a product offers two things such as moisture and acne treatment, more often than not, it doesn’t deliver on either of those claims. It’s best to limit the budget you have for cleansers or toners and invest in a good moisturizer and serum. These two will truly transform your skin.

How to pick “the one”

The perfect moisturizer depends on a lot of things: your skin type, your age and even your preference for texture and feel after the product is absorbed. Start with your skin type and then go from there.

If you have oily skin go for gel textures and oil-free moisturizers, which are more liquid, making them less heavy than creams. La Roche Posey Toleriane Ultra is a good one for those with oily and sensitive skins. For a cheaper option look at Neutrogena Hydro Boost Water Gel.

If you have dry skin you can go for creams that contain oil and get rid of those pesky dry patches immediately. Avene Rich Compensating Cream is a great option to nourish your skin. For a cheaper option try the Pond’s Dry Skin Cream – there’s a reason why it’s been around for so long.

Bonus: Kate Somerville Goat Milk Cream. The name is not the most appealing, but for its price point, you can be sure that it will deliver no matter your skin type.

Serums – the cherry on the top

As I have mentioned before, serums are targeted treatments that can help with the specific concerns you have. Whether you want to get rid of scarring because you wouldn’t listen to your mom and kept picking at your spots, or whether your skin is so dry that moisturizer just won’t cut it, there is one out there for you. My favorites are The Body Shop Vitamin E Overnight Serum-in-Oil and Ole Henriksen Pure Truth Vitamin C Youth Activating Oil.

Those were my tips for finding the Prince Charming of moisturizers and serums collegiettes! If you want more information on picking the right cleanser, check out this article

Images obtained from: 

http://annstreetstudio.com/2015/03/13/chantecaille/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/04/how-to-moisturize-your-face_n_4…

http://everyguyed.com/howto/top-moisturizers-men/