Review of Maison Kam Fung: Montreal’s Best Dim Sum

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

With over a dozen restaurants located around Montreal’s Chinatown, it’s difficult to find and decide on a place that serves reasonably priced, delicious and most importantly good portions of authentic Chinese food. No more headaches; I am here to narrow down the choices for you – well, at least for dim sums. With its good reviews both online and through word of mouth, Kam Fung is easily one of the best dim sum restaurants in the city. 

Strange things about dim sum is that once you’ve had a taste, you are automatically signed up for a lifetime of cravings every few weeks. And that is how it all started, with a midnight craving that led to a lunch date the next day at Kam Fung

Hidden amongst shops, markets and other restaurants Kam Fung was on the second floor of a small mall-like building on Saint Urbain. After being lost momentarily, we entered the restaurant with high hopes and hungry bellies. We were not disappointed, as even before we were seated we were immediately approached by one of the many carts pushed by the waiters offering us different plates of dim sums, rolls, and more

The best thing about going to a dim sum restaurant is that the food is readily available for you in a cart that circles around your table until you’ve been fed a satisfying amount. Oh, and also free tea! But a bit of advice: be ready to reject some of the dishes the waiters offer as sometimes they put them on the table without asking and you are going to have to pay for that. Between my friend and I, we were able to order four different kinds of dim sum, including pork, shrimp, fried or steamed (the price of each dish varies from $3.00 to $4.50) that were served in a small steam basket. My favorite was the Pork, Shrimp and Shiitake Mushroom Dim Sums, which had just the right amount of juiciness and flavor with each bite. 

Other dishes that we ordered were chicken spring rolls, pork BBQ rolls and steamed BBQ pork buns, which were all delicious. Altogether it doesn’t sound like a lot of food but the dishes were very filling. By the end we couldn’t even order the desserts (and take my word for it, that doesn’t happen often). The carts were not only carrying many types of dim sums but were also filled with a variety of desserts, such as sweet steamed cakes, puddings, egg tarts, etc. 

All the orders were tallied up during the meals as pictured above, with most of the dish costing around $3.50. Overall the bill came out to around $25 between the two of us, so for about $12.50 each, it was a very good price for the amount and quality of the food that we ate

Make sure to stop by during lunch to quench those dim sum cravings at Maison Kam Fung. Dim sums are only served from 7AM to 3PM and for dinner they serve other types of tasty Chinese food. 

Check out their website for menus and for more delicious information.

Image obtained from: 

https://eataduck.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/img_0857.jpg

Some photos are the author’s own.