Restaurant Roundup: Maggie Oakes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

Maggie Oakes is a new steakhouse in Old Port located at 426 Place Jacques-Cartier within the new Hotel William Gray. The restaurant is open, airy, and modern with its dining room and bar melting seamlessly together.

My dad was in town so we decided to explore Old Port despite the rain, and ducked into Maggie Oakes for lunch just as it began to pour. We opted for a light lunch rather than steak, and got to experience Maggie Oakes’ seafood options.

I ordered two Maggie’s mimosas, taking advantage of my dad being kind enough to foot the bill. The freshly squeezed orange juice and Prosecco was elevated by the Grand Marnier, a perfect drink for a light lunch.

We both opted to start with a fresh green salad, with carrots, tomatoes, red peppers, and cucumber topped with a creamy and light dressing. It was a great appetizer to start with, and I really wish I could get the recipe for the dressing! Too many dressings are too tart or too much and take away from the salad instead of elevating the salad they’re put on.

For our main we both ordered the Atlantic sandwich, warm brioche bread topped with lobster and shrimp salad with a dill vinaigrette, celery root remoulade, and fresh lettuce. It was absolutely delicious – the seafood was so fresh I devoured the entire thing in a minute and was left wanting more.

Maggie Oakes is a beautiful restaurant in a gorgeous part of Montreal, I want to head back down there to try out their steaks and more of their special cocktails.

All photos are the author’s own.  

Kelly is currently a Second Year with Advanced Standing at McGill University studying History, Business Management, and Psychology. She loves everything food related, and has her own food blog in the works.