Restaurant Roundup: Dominion Square Taverne

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

Located at 1243 Rue Metcalfe, Dominion Square Tavern is an upscale restaurant and bar in downtown Montreal. It is also a hidden gem serving up fancier versions of English pub food and fantastic cocktails. Although pricey with entrees ranging from around $15 to $30+ and cocktails from $9 to $15, the restaurant, with its impeccable decor, is impressive and has both a bar and fancy restaurant vibe. The atmosphere was lively and refined at the same time, and our waiters were very attentive. It’s truly a great place. 

My boyfriend and I decided to treat ourselves to a fancy Sunday dinner to celebrate his last night visiting me in Montreal, so I ordered a Pimm’s Cup (or two…) and Cam got a Rye Gingerale. The Pimm’s Cup was light and refreshing, a perfect accompaniment to a heavy and filling meal. The Rye Gingerale was also tastefully perfect. 

For an appetizer we flirted with the homemade charcuterie plate and the cheese plate, but since my love for cheese is endless, we ended up getting the cheese plate. It was the right call. We enjoyed an aged cheddar, a gouda, and a soft cheese served alongside some crusty bread, olives, and apple slices. Next time, I would definitely like to try the homemade charcuterie plate along the cheese plate!

For entrees, I had to go with the Sunday Roast option, while Cam opted for the beef strip loin with mashed potatoes, topped with an egg and sauteéd green beans. My roast meal started off with the soup of the day and my roast beef was served with tons of roasted veggies, a popover, and gravy. 

Both entrees were delicious, but my newfound obsession with roasted vegetables made mine the better choice in opinion. The brussel sprouts and potatoes were extra tasty. The gravy was not the best I’ve had, so I opted to take some of the sauce from Cam’s strip loin, which was delicious. The popover was also a great side and end to the meal. Both dishes were extremely filling and satisfying and totally worth the splurge.

Since we were just too full after the cheese and meat, the next time I treat myself to Taverne Dominion Square I want to try a dessert. I would also like to try their Ploughman’s Worker’s lunch dish from Great Britain. 

Overall, this restaurant and bar is a great place to impress a date or to take your parents so you can order multiples of their amazing dishes (and cocktails!). I definitely recommend going on a Sunday as well to try their roast. 

All photos are the author’s own. 
Kelly is currently a Second Year with Advanced Standing at McGill University studying History, Business Management, and Psychology. She loves everything food related, and has her own food blog in the works.