Restaurant Review: Else’s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

Else’s is the kind of bar where anyone and everyone fits in. The pub features a fusion of Norwegian themed decorations and leafy green plants with funky circular tables and wooden chairs. Located at 156 Rue Roy E, Else’s fits the vibe of the Plateau perfectly. 

As the story goes, Else flew from Norway to Toronto before taking a taxi to Montreal. After donning tattoos and Doc Martens, she started up her bar in the Plateau on a restaurant license. 

Their liquor license now requires you to get food if you are drinking as well, but Else’s offers a great variety of pub food options, as well as healthier options. From fish tacos to sliders, Else’s menu, atmosphere, and drink options make it the perfect place for a date, drinks, or lunch

My boyfriend and I stopped in to get a beer and cider respectively, and we decided to try the chicken wings, sliders, and chili. The blue cheese burger slides were served with a nice side of cole slaw, and the plentiful chicken wings were slathered in delicious sauce, with a side of a noodle dish. 

While the sliders and the chicken wings were good, the chili was amazing. Cam and I sort of fought over it. It had a great balance of spice and wasn’t too beany. The side of chips was also a perk; plus, chili smothered with cheese and green onions can rarely go wrong. Our drinks were also good, but I preferred his blonde beer to my cider, based on taste alone (we’re not beer connoisseurs). 

When I go back to Else’s, and I’ll definitely be going back soon, I know I’ll be having the chili – and I want to try the tacos, which I’ve heard great things about. It’s the perfect place to go to grab a beer and some comfort food with good friends.

All images are the author’s own.

Kelly is currently a Second Year with Advanced Standing at McGill University studying History, Business Management, and Psychology. She loves everything food related, and has her own food blog in the works.