Restaurant Review: Eggspectation on Montagne

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

Ah, brunch. My favorite six-letter word and morning activity. 

What better way to start the day than with soft buttermilk pancakes and sunny side ups? Thanks to Eggspectation on Montagne & Maisonneuve, you can slip in a quick and scrumptious brunch before that morning or noon class!

Its prime location, quick and friendly service, and reasonable prices will keep you coming back for more. 

I’ve been to this restaurant a couple times now, and have never been let down. Fresh fruits, warm and heaping pancakes, eggs cooked just right, delicious tropical breakfast smoothies bursting with flavor, and friendly staff – does it get any better?

On top of it all, the decor has a cool industrial-kitchen feel to it, with exposed concrete, chic wooden benches and open kitchen. The tall ceilings are a personal favorite of mine, and there’s even an upstairs section to house its many customers. 

I started out with a pineapple-orange-mango smoothie the color of a tropical sunrise. Many restaurants serve smoothies and drinks that are overwhelmingly sweet, but what I love about the smoothies here is that they taste super natural. Whatever the menu says is in there, goes in there. 

For the main dish, I ordered the banana-walnut buttermilk pancakes, with Canadian syrup served on the side. They gave me a generous helping, and I was more than satisfied. Warm and so yummy!

My date ordered the ‘Eggsuberant’, which came with two soft and fluffy buttermilk pancakes, two sunny-side up eggs cooked to perfection, sautéed potatoes, grilled tomatoes, ham slices and an array of fresh fruit, also with Canadian syrup served on the side. Was she exuberant? Yes. Yes, she was. 

That smile says nothing less than “Please make this quick so I can shove everything into my mouth as fast as my hands will allow.”

Other highlights include their expansive menu: they offer everything from bagels to eggs benedict to alcoholic drinks like Bleu Nuit, which is a refreshing blueberry and lemonade vodka drink. Dessert crepes oozing with chocolate, and lunch dishes like pasta, sandwiches, and BLT & spicy sausage hamburgers are on their menu too. 

In terms of location, it couldn’t be better placed – right next to one of downtown Montreal’s nicest Starbucks Cafés, and the original Cacao 70 chocolate café (Not many McGill students haunt the Starbucks here, which is frankly a refreshing discovery).

Eggspectation’s hours are 6:00 am to 4:00 pm on weekdays, and 7:00 am to 4:00 pm on weekends. If you’re planning on going for brunch here on the weekends, make sure you arrive early as it is a very popular venue, and they do not take reservations. 

Happy brunching!