This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

Unless your parents were particularly studious when it came to avoiding the kitchen, you probably had at least a few cookbooks floating around your house growing up. Maybe it was just one or two tried-and-trues—The Joy of Cooking, or The New Basics Cookbook. Maybe it was a whole shelf full of colourful titles from the All Around the World Cookbook to Zen Vegetarian Cooking. Or, maybe it was a handwritten notebook full of the recipes your family has made and loved over the years.

When you moved out, though, you probably had to leave most of those cookbooks behind. Most of the time, this isn’t a problem: all of us have at least a few recipes off by heart, whether it be peanut butter and jelly sandwiches or mushroom quiche. But there are definitely occasions when a recipe is essential. You might be looking for some way to use up all the spinach you bought on sale, or be struck by a sudden urge for chocolate cake, or simply want to try something new. Without that trusty shelf full of cookbooks, where can you go?

Your first thought will probably be Google, but in this case, that isn’t necessarily the best option. Search for a chocolate chip cookie recipe and you will probably come up with big recipe sites or online magazines. These recipes may be adequate, but most of the time they aren’t particularly inspiring—more what you’d expect to find on the back of a box than in a cookbook.

Before you phone home and ask your little brother to read you the index of How to Cook Everything: there are online resources for recipes that are tasty, healthy, and legal to boot. Here are a few of my favourites.

For Omnivores

1. The Amateur Gourmet has recipes for just about everything under the sun, and is a riot to read. (amateurgourmet.com)
  2. Smitten Kitchen is mostly a baking blog, but will occasionally feature a few savoury dishes. These are recipes to cook with friends, if only to have an audience to admire your creation afterwards! (smittenkitchen.com)
  3. Cookus Interruptus is an online mini-cooking show that focuses on quick, whole food meals. The target audience is families, but we students can certainly appreciate speedy nutrition! (cookusinterruptus.com)
  4. Just Bento is a site run by a Japanese expat living in Switzerland. She has lots of ideas for interesting packed lunches, many of which would be perfectly welcome at the dinner table. (justbento.com)
  5. Cook’s Illustrated is a good place to go if you find yourself faced with the task of carving a chicken or making a vinaigrette and aren’t sure where to start. (cooksillustrated.com)

For Vegetarians

1. 101 Cookbooks is full of beautiful pictures and even more beautiful recipes. Browse through Heidi Swanson’s recipe archive and you’ll find yourself bookmarking recipe after recipe. (101cookbooks.com)
  2. Green Kitchen Stories is written by a Swedish couple who are full of unusual and tasty ideas for combining flavours. If you have an eclectic collection of ingredients in your fridge, look for something here. (greenkitchenstories.com)
  3. Mollie Katzen wrote The Moosewood Cookbook, which you probably had if your parents were vegetarian during the 70’s and 80’s. Most vegetarian food back then was orange and smothered in cheese, but not Mollie Katzen’s—her food was darn good, and still is. She has a lot of free recipes on her website. (molliekatzen.com)
  4. Oh She Glows is a vegan blog, chock full of tasty vegetable dishes, interesting smoothies, and more. (ohsheglows.com)

For the Gluten Intolerant

1. Gluten Free Girl is one of the most popular gluten-free sites, and it’s easy to see why. Shauna Ahern’s writing is superb, and her recipes are delicious. If you or a friend is gluten intolerant and you’re up for the challenge of trying GF baking, start with her. (glutenfreegirl.com)
  2. Gluten Free Goddess is another good resource, especially if you’re looking for “procrastibaking” classics like banana bread and oatmeal raisin cookies. (glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com)

For those who Eat with their Eyes

1. Foodgawker and Tastespotting are two curated food photography sites—they have excellent search features, and each photo has a link to the recipe. (foodgawker.com and tastespotting.com)

Olivia Lifman is in her final year at McGill University, where she is completing an Honours BA in English Literature with a minor concentration in International Relations. Passionate about writing, reading, and the Arts, she is the Editor-in-Chief of both Her Campus McGill and McGill's English Department's Undergraduate Academic Journal, The Channel, as well as a literacy tutor. She has coached tennis for five years and is an avid haf-marathon runner. Olivia is very much looking forward to extending McGill's campus beyond its university borders and into the city of Montreal at large as she works more closely with Her Campus this year.