photo of corn field
photo of corn field
Aaron Burden/Unsplash

Post-Thanksgiving Fitness: How to Tone Up After Overindulging

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

By: Kim Laurence

When renowned Californian chef Cindy Pawlcyn says Thanksgiving is “all about the food”, I couldn’t agree more. It is an acknowledged truth that Thanksgiving wouldn’t be Thanksgiving without platefuls of turkey, sweet potato casseroles, pumpkin pie, and the other delicacies adorning the dining table on this long weekend.

If, like me, the foodie in you tends to come out during Thanksgiving, those favorite skinny jeans of yours might have become a little bit harder to zip. Surely there is nothing wrong in indulging once in awhile, but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t get back on the “healthy” track as soon as possible. Considering one of the best ways to get back in shape is to start moving, there is no doubt the following workouts will help you lose the bulge in a flash.  

1. HIIT Training

If spending hours in the gym isn’t your thing, then HIIT training will definitely get you in and out of the gym in no time. HIIT, or high intensity interval training, is a type of workout in which you alternate between bursts of intense activity and short rest periods. Not only does the pattern of alternating from activity to rest period burns a ton of calories, but it also creates an afterburn affect, meaning your body will continue to burn calories at an elevated rate for a few hours.

Now that you know about the numerous benefits of HIIT, you might wonder how you can incorporate interval training to your workout. Thankfully, it’s quite simple. The principles of interval training can be applied to any type of exercise, from jogging to weight training. And here comes the good news: a HIIT workout usually lasts no more than 30 minutes.

Ready to “HIIT” it? This link will take you to a circuit workout that provides all the fat burning benefits of high intensity interval training, while also being dorm room/apartment friendly.

2. McGill’s Fitness Center’s Drop-in Fitness Classes

Have you always wanted to join a fitness class but been worried you would get bored and see your money go down the drain? McGill’s Fitness Centre offers a variety of Pay-As-You-Go fitness classes for under $5. With offerings as diverse as spinning and power yoga, there is definitely something for everyone.

3. Strength Training

Contrary to popular belief, pumping iron will not turn you into the female version of Arnold Schwarzenegger. Performing strength-training exercises – either by using your own bodyweight or by using some form of weighted object – increases muscle mass, which in turn elevates your metabolism (in other words, your body will burn more calories).

Try this total body workout if you are serious about working off that Thanksgiving meal.

4. Take the stairs… or workout while sitting on a chair?

While resolutions such as taking the stairs instead of the elevator might not seem to make a big difference, small tweaks to your usual habits can make an enormous difference in the long run. Walking and biking (especially with a backpack full of books…) are some other great ways to increase your activity level while also providing the added benefit of toning the lower body.  

Now, if your busy schedule has you chained to your desk and you fear you will never be able to sneak in a short workout, let me introduce you to seated workouts. Fun, time-efficient and practical, seated workouts may not replace an actual training session, but they will keep you active.

Voilà! Combined with a healthy diet, these workout ideas will undoubtedly burn off that extra slice of pumpkin pie.

Sources:

http://www.glamour.com/health-…

http://www.fitsugar.com/Full-B…

www.countryliving.com/cooking/…

www.fashionbeans.com/2013/the-…

www.shape.com/fitness/workouts…

Images:

http://projects.nytimes.com/qa/events/thanksgiving-help-line/question/8134

http://www.sheknows.com/health-and-wellness/articles/971683/back-to-basics-guide-to-weight-lifting-for-women