The Non-Redpath to Success

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

As finals draw closer, I often find that McLennan becomes my second home. But the mixture of neon lights, crowds of stressed students vying for coveted spots, and Tim Hortons coffee sometimes become too much. Here are three ways to switch up your study-scene and take a sanity-break from lock-down in the library.

Study for a day in the Westmount Public Library
This spot is one of the most peaceful and beautiful places to work; just hop on the 24-bus and it will drop you off almost on the doorstep of the library! Commissioned by Queen Victoria in 1897 in honour of her diamond jubilee, the library, according to its bylaws, was to be “forever free to the use of the inhabitants and ratepayers of the town.” It is built of a soft-red brick and stone and has some incredible architectural and design features: high arched and leaded windows (which incorporate the names of writers, poets, philosophers, and scientists), ornate columns, a grand fireplace and coffered ceiling above the main reading room, green glass lamp-shades, big plush armchairs, and slate roofs. The east entrance (from the park) has a stonework arch and high relief sculptures by Montreal artist George Hill, too.

457 Sherbrooke
Opening Hours:
Monday-Friday: 10:00am-9:00pm
Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am-5:00pm

2 Go to Nocochi for tea and to read
Located right by the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts, in one of the city’s artsy quarters, Nocochi is a lovely little gallery-style café. Nocochi, which means chickpea floor in Farsi—but is also a Persian sweet—is famous for their Persian and Middle-Eastern bite- size cookies, which are mostly made out of nuts, dates, and traditional spices. The most delicious and novel, however, are those made from chickpeas; they melt in your mouth and taste surprisingly sweet! Nocochi also offers traditional Turkish loukoums—bite-size jelly cubes (made from sugar, starch, and nuts) that taste like rosewater and lemons. The tea selection is fabulous and fruity and comes in a delightful miniature blue teapot and equally petite cup, while their website boasts “one of the best European-style coffees in Montreal.” The menu has recently expanded to serve brunch, too. Often quiet and very bright with interesting art, Nocochi is a great place to have some tea and treats while you read (they have wi-fi as well).

2156 rue MacKay
(514) 989-7514
www.nocochi.com

3 Take time for a run
One of the worst parts of spring-exams is that the weather at this time of year is gorgeous. The next study-break you have, go for a run and enjoy the newly green grass and sunshine! You will feel better after the endorphin-inducing exercise, too. A particularly scenic route is to run to Montreal’s Oratory, which is right by the Notre-Dame cemetery, which will lead you to Mont Royal.

Photo Credit: Elena Abbandonato

Olivia Lifman is in her final year at McGill University, where she is completing an Honours BA in English Literature with a minor concentration in International Relations. Passionate about writing, reading, and the Arts, she is the Editor-in-Chief of both Her Campus McGill and McGill's English Department's Undergraduate Academic Journal, The Channel, as well as a literacy tutor. She has coached tennis for five years and is an avid haf-marathon runner. Olivia is very much looking forward to extending McGill's campus beyond its university borders and into the city of Montreal at large as she works more closely with Her Campus this year.
Sofia Mazzamauro, born and raised in Montreal, is majoring in English Cultural Studies and minoring in Communication and Italian Studies. Along with being the editor-in-chief of Her Campus McGill, she is a writer for Leacock’s online magazine’s food section at McGill University and the editor of the Women’s Studies Undergraduate Interdisciplinary Journal. After graduation, she aspires to pursue a career in lifestyle magazine writing in Montreal.