andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

A Nomad Abroad: An Interview with Exchange Student Yasmine Amr

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

We’re nearing the end of March and I’m subsequently nearing the end of my year abroad here in Montreal (how, I have no idea, it’s a cliché but it has well and truly flown by). As I look back on my past seven months in this city I can’t help but feel a complete mix of emotions: a sorrow that this stage in my life is coming to an end, accomplishment for having taken on this challenge (and succeeded!) and pure joy when I think of all the wonderful friendships and memories I have made.

Subsequently, for my last profile here at Her Campus McGill, I wanted to focus on what it is actually like to undertake a semester or a year at a different school. But I couldn’t exactly interview myself could I?!

Hence, I introduce to you the inspirational and multi-talented Yasmine Amr, a young woman whom I have had the absolute pleasure of meeting whilst here in Montreal. She is studying in Montreal as part of an exchange year at university. A fine arts and art history student at the University of Newcastle in England, but a photography, film and journalism student at Concordia University here in Montreal, she shares with me her own experience of studying abroad.

Connie Coles-Garrad for Her Campus McGill (HC McGill): So Yasmine, a pretty simple question to begin with, but an important one nonetheless: what made you decide to undertake a semester abroad?

Yasmine Amr (YA): Well I’ve always been a bit of a nomad. Sometimes I genuinely believe it streams through my blood having grown up moving around so much. I had first heard about doing an exchange during a talk at my home university in England. Initially I completely dismissed it, after all being in England, I was already ‘studying abroad’, but that’s precisely what pushed me to apply for a semester abroad. I wanted to push that further so I thought I would give it a shot… And hey, here I am!!

People often think travelling and exploring the world is reserved for the holidays, but if you can travel and widen your education then you’re simply killing two birds with one stone.

HC McGill: Wow that’s pretty impressive. Studying abroad when you are already studying abroad! I could ask myself this same question but I reckon everyone has a different response… Why Montreal?

YA:  Everyone always asks me this question! Why Montreal? And why on earth did you choose to come during winter of all times? To be honest, I originally wanted to go to the moon but that wasn’t on my list of options… But on a serious note, why not Montreal! I had never been to the Americas before and Montreal just seemed to stand out: being ranked the top student city and the courses they offered were perfectly suited to my interest, it was a sign!

HC McGill: That’s such a brave move, coming to a continent you’d never previously visited, has the city lived up to your expectations?

YA: It’s so gorgeous: if New York and Paris were to have a baby, it would be Montreal. In that way it really is the best of both words. It’s extremely diverse and cosmopolitan and there’s so much to do. It has a fabulous arts, music and outdoors-y scene, and it is an extremely foodie friendly city! Even better, it’s only a short journey away from other cities such as New York and Toronto.

HC McGill: I know one of things that most scared me about coming to Montreal was the weather, something you’ve already touched upon. So, what’s your verdict of Montreal’s infamous winter (and subsequent snowy spring as we’re currently facing!)?

YA: As Elsa from Frozen sang at the top of her lungs “the cold never bothered me anyway!” And that really is the Canadian motto in a nutshell! Where else could you party at a festival when it’s -20 degrees Celsius (yes, I’m talking about Igloofest!).

HC McGill: I would have to agree!! So, despite the lively nature of Montreal and all the amazing things this city has to offer, what would you say has been the hardest thing for you, moving to a new city?

YA: Being abroad in a new environment always puts you out of your comfort zone, and that’s a feeling everyone should experience. It makes you far more independent and certainly makes you appreciate the little things and people who you may have taken for granted while being back home… Do you realise how expensive halloumi is?! But the hardest thing for me, without a single shadow of a doubt… The weather!

HC McGill: Yep, I too discovered thermals are definitely my new best friend! So what about your biggest accomplishment?

YA: I know it may sound silly, but simply being here is an accomplishment in itself; the fact that I got accepted and am finally here after the idea only having been a mere figment of imagination! Doing a semester abroad has opened such a wealth of opportunities, it’s beyond me. The people I have met are worthy of being lifelong friends and it’s been such an accomplishment being immersed within the Canadian community too. I’ve had the wonderful opportunities such as participating in art exhibitions, working at Enso Hot Yoga Studio, and organising CASA Cares charity events, such as their fashion show.

HC McGill: I’m so happy you’ve had such a positive experience from your time studying abroad, as I know it’s not always easy! So on a final note, what advice would you give to someone considering studying abroad?

YA: DO IT. DO IT. DO IT. It will honestly change you in the best possible ways if you simply dive in. I know that a lot of times we can fall into a rut of routine. I know I was certainly guilty of doing so and being abroad simply gives you the lust for life back.

It’s a time to Carpe Diem your life. Studying abroad artlessly allows you to simply have me time and to be a little selfish, but in the best possible way… There’s this quote about how travel is the one thing you buy that makes you richer, and I couldn’t agree more.

I want to thank Yasmine for not only taking the time to speak with me considering, like me, she doesn’t have long left in this city; but also for being able to verbalise so many of my own feelings so accurately!

Studying abroad isn’t always an easy decision, or an easy ride. But I’ve learned to embrace the challenges and just go with it. And just as Yasmine told me, it’s a time to “be spontaneous, be daring, be courageous, be social and be active… Simply be. Be in love with your life. And the rest will fall into place.”

So whether you’re just skimming through this interview for a bit of light reading, or actually giving studying abroad some thought, take this last point into consideration…

Variety is the spice of life (Yasmine Amr, 2017).

Images are all Yasmine’s own.

Connie is a Linguistics Undergrad and languages-lover from London. You'll find her at her happiest when drinking good coffee, travelling Latin America and appreciating good food.